Private habits of mallards in breeding season

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

For the third spring in succession we've had a pair of mallards take up almost permanent residence in our garden. I swear it must be the same pair to have remembered it from the previous two springs, (or perhaps at least the drake remembered it as he arrived daily for a week first before he arrived with his mate). Does anybody know if mallards pick the same mate every year? I'm intrigued as to why they spend so much time in our garden as they certainly arn't nesting in it. Is it likely they have a nest somewhere nearby, and if so, why isn't the female spending more time guarding her eggs as they're in our garden for most of the day? He is certainly very attentive - he's never more than two yards away from his Mrs.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

My ducks all females lay all their eggs in one nest and take turns sitting on the eggs, there may be other females on the eggs.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Morning Primrose

I thought from your title you were going to give us some juicy details :oops:

As I understand it mallards are usually monogamous for a particular breeding season, which would explain the drake's constant attendance. However, they do go in for "extra-pair copulation" ("a bit on the side").

Whether your pair are the same as before, who knows? We had a pair last year, who (possibly) returned to our field last month - sometimes both, other times just one as though they were sitting eggs again. Last week the situation changed: the duck was never seen again, but two drakes and a black and white duck appeared and they spend their days eating our own ducks' food and sitting in a trio. Occasionally a third drake flies in and chases off the other two, but pays no attention to the duck. Then all three get back together again - but never any sexual behaviour. They are out there now having a post-breakfast nap in the sun.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

lol Primrose, you wanted juicy details? My 6 female ducks get in the mood in spring and mount each other lol, I might give them a treat and borrow a male !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
pwlynch
KG Regular

We made a pond a couple of years ago and a pair of mallards were here for several months last year.They're here again this year.Sometimes they are here for most of the day,although they haven't been here today.They usually lie beside the pond or go in the pond but sometimes they go on the grass right beside the house.If I shout of them they come running up to the house and I give them some bread.I have often wondered where their nest is or if they have any eggs,there's a burn at the bottom of our garden so I suspect they live somewhere along the bank.We enjoy having them,even the dog does and doesn't attempt to chase them,he has been well warned though!
Primrose
KG Regular

I wish I could train our two visitors to come running to be fed. They get very twitchy if I move too close to them while I'm gardening, and often fly up onto the roof for a while if I invade their personal space too much. The drake is currently here on his own at the moment although they were both here an hour or so ago until they flew off. Now he's quacking quite desperately and despondantly because she's not here so I hope nothing has happened to her as this is the first time in a month that I've seen him unaccompanied. Lovers tiff perhaps? :lol: they make quite compulsive watching. I shall doubtless be traipsing back and forth to the window for the rest of the evening watching for her return to be reassured that she's returned and is OK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic