Pheasant

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Mouse
KG Regular

I looked out of the window to see if there were any rabbits in sight, having found some large holes in the front garden only yards from the front door.
No sign of any rabbits, luckily, but this beautiful fellow was strutting his way up the garden:
pheasant.JPG
pheasant.JPG (76.62 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bert, if you keep your eyes open, his wife will probably nesting near by, then the youngsters will appear.

They are indeed a magnificent bird.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

.........but they love small bulbs like Crocus.
The Mouse
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:.........but they love small bulbs like Crocus.

Interesting - and guess which way he was heading: towards the only patch of garden that has crocuses in it!!!
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
madasafish
KG Regular

Nice bird but so noisy. Wake us up every morning.. Sit on our quail cages and turn the roofs white :-(
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

There is another handsome pheasant like that lives at the top of our lane,
have seen the hen too, she is pure white albino, just as well because they are always jay walking accross the lane, I have to slow for them most evenings LOL It's the first white hen I have ever seen.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Monika
KG Regular

We get the pheasants on the allotment and even in the garden when the shooting starts on the "glorious 12th" (August). You can't really blame them, can you?

On the allotment last winter the hungry pheasants even attacked the sprouts from below, probably in search of caterpillars on them.
Geoff
KG Regular

Pheasants love brassicas. My wife's family farm alongside a large estate that breeds and shoots Pheasants (I think they've been stopped from shooting the peasants) so they put a strip of Kale in a nearby field. Day after the posh shoot they have their shoot of the ones taking refuge and feeding in the Kale.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic