Swallow

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Well somebody's got to say it. Swallow sat in our garage this morning where they normally nest. It was a lovely day yesterday with lots of insects about, hope today warms up and clears for it (and me!).
Monika
KG Regular

Lucky you, Geoff. I keep looking out for them. One thing that worries me: not heard a willow warbler yet. I understand there are lots of willow warblers and chiffchaffs around Leighton Moss RSPB Reserve and Lancaster, but none here so far.
Geoff
KG Regular

Two tonight - nearly got me returning while I was in there taking my boots off after a beautiful evening in the garden.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
You lucky bugger! Spring doesn't start for me until the Swallows are ducking and weaving above me on the plot.
The average date here is the 12th April but I have had a loan Swallow quartering the crops adjacent 12th March some years back. It stayed a couple of days and was off to your neck of the woods probably.
JB.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My partner saw two swallows yesterday at a farm in Monsal Dale in the Peak District. He also saw Willow Warbler and Chiff Chaff.

So far none have reached our bit of Yorkshire. I hope they aren't put off when they do come back as the farm which had the most swallows and house martins is in the middle of being converted into God knows what with all the holes blocked up and the roof covered in tarpaulin. Fancy flying all the way back from Africa and finding your traditional roosts all being trashed.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,
Have had the Chiff Chaff with me for about a month now and this morning I was treated to descending call of the Willow Warbler for about an hour.
They gave me a miss last year and they were sorely missed. Hope they stay!
No Swallows yet!
2008 was a wonderful breeding year with the Swallows but last year was a bit of a disaster so I am wondering what will happen this year.
I get a real lift when they appear.
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hooray! A solitary Swallow on the power line this morning. This means they are a couple of days early.
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

First swallow last night (2009 date: 31 March), first willow warbler today (exactly the same date as 2008 and 2009!), first three small tortoiseshell butterflies today.

I have kept a record of "first arrivals" for the last 20 years and it is interesting to note that birds have become slightly earlier over two decades and are considerable earlier than 1908 for which I happen to have the local arrival dates.

Spring has sprung!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

No swallows yet, but lots of butterflies this week, commas, small tortoishells, peacocks and a small white which had to be ejected from the greenhouse. There are even lots of ladybirds. I've seen more this week than I saw all summer last year and funnily enough last year I only saw two spot and this year they are all either five or seven spot.

The bumble bees are doing well too with red tailed, garden, buff tailed, and common carder bees today.
Primrose
KG Regular

No swallows here yet. I've been keeping a look out for them when I've been out in the garden and love to hear that first joyful screaming overhead as they fly in to seek out their accustomed nesting sites in the village. What amazes me is that they're wheeling and diving around like the Red Arrows and people are just walking by on the pavements immediately underneath them, without even looking up and marvelling that such a feat of endurance has bought them back safely again over thousands of miles. Think people must be so busy looking for odd pennies dropped on the pavements that they're missing the far more valuable treasures above their heads!

It seems to have been a great Spring here for bumble bees and butterflies though, and the past week has really bought the ladybirds out too.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

First Brimstone butterfly yesterday - and a Small White! First swallow on Sunday in Dryslyn.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Have 9 pairs of Swallow now and all are busy nesting but numbers are still down so far and several people in the district, who normally have several pairs nesting, are still without any at present.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

None here yet. Am still waiting to see them whizzing around overhead. Hopefully some warm weather will provide plenty of insects for them to feed on to fatten them up after their long journey.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I saw the first swallows in nearby fields yesterday and TODAY OUR THREE HOUSE MARTINS ARE BACK. I'm so pleased they've made it. There was only a pair nesting last year and they only seemed to have raised one or two young, so at least one of their babies has come back. I love to hear them.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,
The strange thing is that although House Martins feed over my place they have never nested in the 30 years I have been here nor have any Swifts (not here yet) although they always feed above and around me.
I have yet to hear a Willow Warbler this year suspect they have deserted me as they have not nested for a couple of years now.
After the winter tragedy with the Wrens I have yet to see one on the plot or even hear one. I wonder just how many perished during the harsh conditions. Sadly I do not know of any way to provide food for them in such conditions. Should anybody know to the contrary I would be eternally grateful for the information.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic