Bees

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

The annual blossom period is upon us and this year masses of bees.
The flowering currants are in full bloom here and the noise of bees busy about their work could be heard more than ten feet away.
The Early Plum trees are also in full boom and masses of bees there as well. Looks to be a good year for bees so far. Last year at the same time there were very few about. A good percentage appear to be honey bees but counted eight different bumble bee species on the flowering currants.
During the extended winter this year many plants have died especially a high percentage of my herbs show no sign of life. Even mint is reluctant to grow. It has been in evidence for a couple of weeks now but has not moved at all since then.
JB.
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

That is good news Johnboy, we have such a shortage of bees around me, I didn't see a single honey bee last year - thank goodness for bumble bees!
Kind regards,

Elle
Colin_M
KG Regular

That's good to hear JB.

The ones I've noticed quite a few of so far this year are:
- Large bumble bees
- Small furry bees (including Mason bees)
Havn't seen many honey bees yet

Finally there were quite a few butterflies around at Easter. Lots of Peacocks and some white/light yellow. I was going to start netting our brassicas but we've had a colder snap since then and they've gone into hiding.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Although the Mason Bees have decided not to use my man made facility for them they are in evidence here, especially on the early Plum Trees so they have found somewhere natural to nest which to me is so much better because it means that they have colonised the area which can only be a very good thing for me. (and them I hope)
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I thought it was just us. Where I have a brew when the sneaky cold winds drop is where my heathers are flowing and they have been covered with huge Bumble Bees.
glallotments
KG Regular

Lots of big bumbles here too - probably queens looking for a potential nesting place. Also large queen wasps one of which was in our bedroom!!

One or two peacock butterflies basking in whatever sun is available.
Colin_M
KG Regular

glallotments wrote:Also large queen wasps one of which was in our bedroom!!

Hey glallotments, that's scary! As I was sat here at 5am reading your message, I heard a sound like a second world war bomber, looked up and saw a queen wasp circling above me.

Not sure I want them making a nest in our office :(
glallotments
KG Regular

Colin_M wrote:
glallotments wrote:Also large queen wasps one of which was in our bedroom!!

Hey glallotments, that's scary! As I was sat here at 5am reading your message, I heard a sound like a second world war bomber, looked up and saw a queen wasp circling above me.

Not sure I want them making a nest in our office :(

You're at work early! Didn't fancy one making one in our bed either. I did once get stung by a wasp that had somehow got into the bed!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic