chicken advice please

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Zena
KG Regular

It's been a while since I posted on here - I'm glad to see not a lot's changed!
I have finally (I think) persuaded my OH to let me keep chickens. My first thought was to go for some rescue battery hens, but the book I was reading today suggests that these aren't good for a beginner. Also, hybrid or not? I think a hybrid is more likely to continue laying into winter than a pure breed? Are bantams better for beginners? Any advice greatly appreciated! Thank you.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Zena, can't help with the Chickens, but very nice to see you on the forum again. :)

Hope you all have been keeping well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
John
KG Regular

Hello Zena
I would say that for your first experience of keeping poultry that rescue hens should be avoided. They do feather up well and become good layers but you do need a little bit of experience to cope with them at first.
If you want eggs its got to be hybrid hens. My favourites are Black Rocks - they are hardy, healthy birds, excellent layers and with their glossy black/green feathers they also look good. If you decide on these do make sure that you get genuine Black Rocks from a proper dealer. There are quite a few people out there selling a similar type of bird but these are a poor imitation of the real thing. This map shows where the approved dealers are:

http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/Black_Roc ... gents.html

Another big advantage of hybrid hens is that they are unlikely to go broody each year like the true breeds do.
There are plenty of other hybrid types available that are good layers and are capable of producing chocolate brown, brown, plum-coloured, green or white eggs.
Bantams are a matter of personal preference. They will of course only give you bantam size eggs.
Another point to remember is that hens are social creatures and although they might squabble amongst themselves, they do need each others company. Three is the absolute minimum number of birds that you'll need.

Hope this helps

John

PS POL (point of lay birds) are best for beginners as these are nearly fully grown and will come into lay for you in about a month.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Elle's Garden
KG Regular

Hello Zena,

I would agree with everything that John says, but I must tell you my experience of Black Rocks a few years ago. Once established in our field we found that they were far more independently minded than the other more traditional breeds we had owned, and would lay eggs in the hay stack, corners of the hedge, areas of long grass, in fact anywhere but in the nesting box. In fact one went missing for a few weeks only to be seen emerging from the tarp covered haystack with a clutch of newly hatched chicks. They were good at dodging the fox, but we found them a tad too free-range for us. We have gone for some lovely copper Marans this time, and they are far more our style. That said, the back rocks did lay beautiful eggs - when we could find them! If you are keeping them within an enclosure then you won't have any of our problems.

Avoid Buff Orpingtons completely - we found they actively search out foxes or other interesting ways to die, a pheasant of the chicken world!

Good luck,
Kind regards,

Elle
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hello there, I also completely agree with John. Black Rocks are lovely birds, very good layers of nice brown eggs, nice temperaments, very robust and healthy, a good reliable bird to start with. Also they aren't a very large bird so don't eat as much as some.

Battery hens are usually Warrens and in my experience the breed lays like mad for a couple of years and then gets something wrong with it and dies. I'm sure there other poultry keepers who disagree, but mine have never have done as well as the Black Rocks.

I wouldn't bother with bantams if you want them for eggs. They only lay small eggs and fewer of them, and some breeds of bantams are very flighty and liable to escape up trees and over fences (if you don't clip their wings).

Saying that, one of my favourite hens is my lavender Araucana, which is very small, pretty, and lays blue green eggs (or did when she was younger) she is 9 years old and has only managed two eggs this year. She is a little character and a lovely pet.
Zena
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone! sorry for the delay in responding - my blasted computer has broken so am having to log in at work. Let's hope the boss doesn't find out!
No doubt I shall be back again soon for more help xx
woodenart
KG Regular

Most of the hybrid birds available would be suitable. Mixed experiences with Black Rocks, good and not so good.

Mark.
www.woodenart.org.uk High Quality Chicken Houses Coops and Runs
Diane
KG Regular

I have french copper black marans who lay large dark brown eggs. Highly recommended. I would add a plea for the pekin bantam though - very pretty, silly tame birds who follow me around like puppies. Although they lay smaller eggs - they are extremely good layers, (at least mine are). Love a cuddle.

The trouble with having chickens is - once you see how many interesting breeds there are, and also the great range of egg colours - then it's very addictive.

I've had plymouth rocks, leghorns, australorps, sabelpoots, dutch, belgian, rhode island reds, auracanas, transylvanian naked necks, black rocks, pekins and silkies.(not all at the same time!). I love them all.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
woodenart
KG Regular

But, I have to say that the Light Sussex is my favourite all round Hen.
www.woodenart.org.uk High Quality Chicken Houses Coops and Runs
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic