thinking about getting chickens

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

seedling
KG Regular

Part of me would like to get a couple of chickens but part of me knows i shouldnt. What do you do in the winter about putting the chickens inside?
I work afternoons and evenings. What do you do when you go on holiday? Dont think i would be able to do these things properly for them Please talk me out of it and remove my rose tinted glasses
Seedling
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Seedling, lifes to short not to do things you want to.
You could always get a fox proof run so they won't have to be shut up at night, then their are good friends to help while you are on holiday, i'm sure she wouldn't mind. :wink:

You could be eating eggs by next weekend. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
seedling
KG Regular

OH you are supposed to be talking me out of it not encouraging me :roll:
Seedling
peter
KG Regular

Just think of Rocky and all the time and effort Chantal had to devote to him before he ravished her chickens, repeatedly, then had to be sent to the naughty cockerels institute. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

We've already had this discussion, last Thursday. Far from talking her out of it.. now I'm on the naughty step. :oops:

There's a problem with me also working full time; my lovely neighbours shut my birdies up at night but I doubt they'll walk up the road to look after Seedlings birds too.

We'll work something out and I think an Eglu may be the answer with us co-ordinating time away so someone's always around. :D

Sorry Seedling :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Seedling, you know you want to
get some hens, so just get them. :lol: :wink:

Chantal
KG Regular

peter wrote:Just think of Rocky and all the time and effort Chantal had to devote to him before he ravished her chickens, repeatedly, then had to be sent to the naughty cockerels institute. :wink:

Peter, it was Rocky that caused all this trouble. Seedling freely admitted she had no feelings at all about chickens and then Rocky was born. A month later when he was battered, she sat with me at my allotment with him on a little nest beside her and became totally besotted. I'm sure it was because he was an injured baby, but this adoration lasted a very long time and she's been suffering a bit of chicken envy ever since. In her previous house there wasn't a suitable place to keep chickens, now she has a garden in which they can live...

We can pick out something suitable when you come round for dinner later Seedling. :wink:
Chantal

alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Seedling

If you want to be put off having chickens, you obviously want to have some. As OH says, go ahead and get them.

A few points to bear in mind:

Please don't get two; at least three (practical point: if one dies you will not be left with a lonely hen - they do not like to live alone).

Three hens can easily be housed in a small coop with a secure, fox-proof run, and so can put themselves to bed.

As for going away (and I speak as someone tied by the leg to 50 mixed hens and ducks - but why would I want to go on holiday when we live in north-west Wales?) they can still be kept inside, but you will need a nearby friend who can feed and water them and collect the eggs.

Aaaaah :)
AnneThomas
KG Regular

As you say - Awwwww - aren't they cute. I want to keep chickens too but haven't got the money to get set up at the moment.

We are coming to Wales on Wednesday for our holiday - west of Brecon Beacons around Llanwrtyd Wells - too far south of you Alan I think. We love Wales :D
peter
KG Regular

Seedling, I give up, I did try to put you off, but...

Perhaps you should have put the question the other way round, then everyone would tell you horror stories. :wink:

BTW, I've been offered an ostrich, do you think I should accept it?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Peter, the only negative point i can come up with for you having an Ostrich is, you might need to get some bigger eggcups. :wink:

seedling
KG Regular

Not sure about the ostrich Peter- you would need to get a sand pit as well so that it could bury its head :)
Looks like when i see Chantal later i might be persuaded to consider the chicken idea. Wish id never mentioned it now.

Seedling
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder if you will be having Chicken fo dinner. :roll:

Can you see any smoke from up the road yet seedling. :?:

seedling
KG Regular

I`m reliably informed that we are having lamb tonight - phew !
No smoke visible yet thankfully :wink:

Seedling
Chantal
KG Regular

The lamb is in the oven, I'll save the smoke until you get here, as usual :lol: :lol:
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic