Cat litter: any use for this in the garden at all?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

spinningfishwife
KG Regular

secret guest wrote:. (Some countries even use human excrement as fertilizer.)

The U.K and most of the EU, pumps almost all its sewage sludge (solids from sewage farms) onto farmland. Have you never seen tankers parked in small country lanes attached to tractor driven pumps and miles of pipe?

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly. I meant raw human excrement...taken straight from the night bucket and tipped directly on the fields. I knew about sewage sludge, but that`s treated in several different ways first.
Val
LynneA
KG Regular

Our neighbour's cats have a "special spot" in their garden (in the far corner but in sight of the kitchen window)

We once had a cat stay for a weekend so bought some litter. Have since found it very useful for pouring waste cooking fats and oils onto to blot up then dispose as solid waste.

I've heard it is also useful as a slug repellent.
My old boss once said - Tomorrow, we are going to get organised. That was 20 years ago...

My little blog:
http://UK.360.yahoo.com/ourlitleblueshed
Franksmum
KG Regular

I'm not going to get embroiled or be opinionated about this topic but I have two very sociable boys that really miss their old garden. I used to dig over a special patch for them at the bottom and they largely used it rather than going in the neighbouring gardens.

However, I looked out of the bedroom window one day to see T squatting earnestly (and he's a big cat)over my neighbours tub of newly planted petunias right in front of her lounge window. I never told her about it but I can't help myself laughing at the memory - I'd love to know what she did to upset him.....

I weaned them off the litter tray by mixing soil from the isolated patch gradually. Then I put some of the used litter (not the lumps) onto the patch so they would get used to the smell.

At the moment with no garden, they go outside and pee in piles of dead leaves or use the enclosed litter tray indoors for anything more substantial. The litter just goes into the bin with the rest of unrecyclable stuff to be incinerated.

Cats and kittens are ace, so are dogs & we would like a couple of chickens but we are definitely going to have to keep a wire roof on them cos it may be carnage otherwise with our hunter killers around.

PS don't cats catch toxiplasmosis from rats?
mandylew
KG Regular

my friends (who lives in a mid terrace with yard, no earth for miles about) cats conveniently do their business in her bath :shock: , she just has to scoop it up into the toilet, or rinse away. I think it all started by her keeping the litter tray in the bathroom, so theres a possibility!

Mandy
mandylew
KG Regular

dont know how that happened, i kept getting an error message about the bb code evry time i tried to post it :oops:
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Dont worry Mandy your post is there but duplicates have also posted, I have removed the duplicats as the forum is in a bit of a transition tonight as they are moving to new servers and the forum software is in a bit od a half way house it seems.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Franksmum
KG Regular

Your friends are not alone Mandy. Yes I've had several cats over the years that have used the bath, v peculiar as no training ever given.... T bless him suffers from cystitis so I guess he likes having a smooth cold surface to pee against (also useful for collecting syringe samples to take to the vets).
lizzie
KG Regular

Suki uses the bath too. I don't really mind, at least it's not on the floor!!! No-one taught her, she just decided. Funny thing is, she actually pees down the plug hole. She's always been a funny cat!!
Lots of love

Lizzie
jopsy
KG Regular

my cats use a litter tray-we used to live in an old fishermans cottage with no garden.
we moved and they continued to use it!we didn't even bother trying to retrain them as they are 10.
i'd never thought of putting the litter in the compost; but must say i don't fancy the idea much-even if i did flush no 2's down the loo!.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic