How do they do that?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ken
KG Regular

We've lived in this house for 30 years - a field at the bottom of a large garden, a road on one side and two houses with large gardens on the other two sides. Suddenly, for the first time, we've got a mole working in a shrub border pretty well in the middle of the garden. Where did it come from? Was it parachuted in?
We've ordered a sonic mole scarer. Hope they work...
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Don't even open the parcel with the sonic thing in - they are useless! :( I have yet to meet anyone who says they had any success with them - if fact most people say the manufacturer should be charged under the trades descriptions act - although having committed that to writing I'm sure someone will say it worked for them - There have been numerous debates on this forum about how to get rid of moles and so far - no one has come up with one that works- well one that is legal anyway. A neighbouring farmer one told me he uses cyanide!! :shock: I cant abide the little buggers, they have driven me to distraction this winter but I couldn’t use anything like that and still sleep at night. I believe Geoff Hamilton stated that there was no satisfactory way of getting rid of them. The moles seems to dissapear in the spring, just seems to be a late winter problem most of the time.
Sorry to be so doom filled about them - you could always listen to Jasper Carrots skit about " how to kill a mole" has me in kniks everytime :lol:
ken
KG Regular

Thanks, Sue. I think....
So what about the so-called humane mole traps?

traps are the only way, but you need some skill to be good at it.
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

I'm sorry, I havent come across the humane traps, I have another neighbour who uses traps but they kill the mole. They seem to work as far a killing the mole goes but like mice she still gets more. It seems the best results are to be had with a keen jack russel terrier, but I guess the lawn and border would look like a war zone then :( They really are a menace to get rid of, but they do seem to clear off inthe spring. Sorry I cant be more helpful
Mr Potato Head

There's a whole topic on the best method to get rid of moles, which includes a near infamous discussion on how to harvest ferret excrement...

Best way to get rid of moles?
sue-the-recycler
KG Regular

Hi Mr PH - I tried to find that thread using the search thing but no joy - thanks for providing the link
fen not fen
KG Regular

My Jack Russell puppy makes everywhere look like a war zone, but has yet to catch anything that hasn't either been dead a long time, or passed through the guts of some other beast. However I am training her to eat leatherjackets with some success...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic