muscovy ducks - how do i get them to go in their shed

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

fen not fen
KG Regular

I've got a pair of muscovy ducks that don't go in their house at dusk like my hens do. How do I get them to go in? I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the fox finds my boys...
Sue
KG Regular

Hi Fen

When you got them, did you do the old trick of leaving them shut in for the first day so they imprint on the shed as home?

Could be worth trying now. If the shed is not that big, try leaving the access door open so they get daylight, but block it up temporarily with chicken wire. As long as they have food and water they will be fine for the day.

Sue
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Sue is right, important to imprint in their minds that the shed is home. But, in order to do that you need to get them in there first, right? Try feeding them in there, get them to follow you in with the corn. Put it in the feed bowl & shut the door. Ensure the shed is ready, with drinking water etc and as Sue says if necessary have a ready made frame made up for air ciculation etc during the day. Once they know it is home it should get easier, but despite what is said about not feeding them at bedtime, they may need coaxing into bed with a little titbit now and again.

Just realised what I have written... :wink: Now then boys, cool down I am talking about the ducks, :wink:

Good Luck with the Muscoveys, they are great fun!
My only prejudice is prejudice
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Rarebredchick, i didn't think you could have meant anything else. :) :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Hi Oldherbaceous,

Its you I was worried about & if you did not misinterpret, MY mind must be getting worse...... :lol:
My only prejudice is prejudice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic