Strange bird

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

I've been meaning to post this on here since last winter...... we had a bird in the woods next to us which made a call like a football rattle.. the ones you spin around on a stick..... It was quite large, slightly bigger than wood pigeon I would say although it was a distance away and looked white or light in colour.

Any suggestions as to what it was. I've never seen or heard anything like it. From a bit of research I've only managed to come up with a shrike but I don't think that's correct.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Myrkk

Was it a mistle thrush?

Check this out.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Myrkk
KG Regular

Hmm, the audio isn't quite right. It was a really harsh noise compared to that rattle.
Lyn
KG Regular

It might have been a woodpecker - their "drumming" noise sounds like a rattle.
Geoff
KG Regular

How about the "Yaffle" of a Green Woodpecker?
Myrkk
KG Regular

nope, it really is a harsh rattle like a wooden football rattle ratchet or like pulling your handbrake on without using the button..... It's really puzzling me. We've lived here nearly 4 years and never heard or seen anything like it before.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi myrkk,
To be bigger than a Wood Pigeon it has got to be a game bird of some sort. Male Red Legged Partridges make a churring noise when calling in their females but not quite the same as a football rattle.
JB.
Diane
KG Regular

'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Birkward
KG Regular

Hi there I am new to the forum hence the very late reply to the query on the strange bird. It could well be a Jay or a magpie, they sound like a match box being rattled!
Norfolkbird
KG Regular

ditto me, Birkward! Hope it's not too late to answer! I think the bird may have been a Corncrake - although I don't think they are normally found in Wales. Have a listen to the "Calls of the Corncrake" at the website below (I'd go for the first file - "characteristic rasping call of the male"):

http://www.corncrake.net/steckbrief_e.htm
You'll find me in the Lavender Shed...
GIULIA
KG Regular

I'd guess that's a Jay from the description, look beautiful sound awful. Here in Liverpool we call them typical 'scallies'and we have quite a colony of them. Little known fact, they steal potatoes! Leave a couple of little ones out on the lawn and see if they come and have a snack on them.
Myrkk
KG Regular

Hi,

We do have jays and magpies in the garden. It just looked too pale to be a jay but it was a distance away so probably was but I'm too myopic to see it lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic