What birds visit your garden?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

CatBud
KG Regular

Haven't had many this winter but I tend to get blackbirds, a family of housesparrows and a million starlings-it's like a scene from a certain Alfred Hitchcok film! :shock:
gloworm
KG Regular

When the starlings are flocking I've noticed several sparrow hawks wheeling around on the edge of the flock, occasionally merging with them & coming out with a starling. They do this constantly until the flock eventually goes to roost. Easy pickings.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catbud, i normally get a wide selection of birds in my garden, but this year we have got a sparrowhawk in the village that seems to be keeping the birds away. :twisted:
Hopefully they will return soon.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Usually house sparrows (100 from last year's hatch), flocks of starlings (the first we have ever seen here), blue tits, chaffinches, greenfinch, great tit, blackbirds (few sightings so far this winter), songthrushes, mistle thrushes, crows, rooks, jackdaws, one sparrowhawk recently, robins, pied wagtails, herons (in river), buzzards overhead, collared doves, woodpigeons, nuthatch (occasionally) and not forgetting our three tame herring gulls, Owain Glyndŵr and his offspring Vomit and Vimto (if you want to know why these names, ask).
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, pray do tell us why, we don't like secrets on here. :wink:

alan refail
KG Regular

Since you ask OH here goes

Owain Glyndŵr was our last destructive Welsh rebel -have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain_Glynd%C5%B5r

Vomit because that's what young gulls get their parents to do to get food (also because his constant whingeing made us sick :!: )
Vimto (last year's chick)is an anagram of Vomit (and also a sickly drink I loved as a child).
Glad you asked :?:

Alan (and feathered friends)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Alan, Owen Glendowers description sounds a bit like myself, a wild and exotic man. :shock: :D :wink:

And yes i am glad i asked, as it put a big smile on my face, and smiling plays a big part in my life. :)
But maybe you had already noticed that. :wink:

alan refail
KG Regular

OH :D

So glad :D the names made you smile

Cofion gorau
Regards

Alan :D
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
lynne
KG Regular

I love the little garden birds we have - I do everything I can to attract as many different species as possible!
We have goldfinches, sparrows, chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits, great tits, wrens, dunnocks, a couple of completely mad wood pigeons, and a lovely pair of collared doves. We also have blackbirds, robins, wagtails, siskins and yellow finches.
Not bad for a teeny tiny 60 ft garden, eh?!

:D
madasafish
KG Regular

robin, blackbird, bluetit,chaffinch (lots), greattit, longtailed tit,coal tit, siskin (rare), thrush (occasional), crow, jackdaws, magpies, dunnocks,yellow hammer, bullfinch,greater spotted woodpecker,tree creeper,pheasant,wood pigeon, collared dove, wren

and less often
merlin, sparrowhawk, goshawk,partridge
Monika
KG Regular

We still have redwings and bramblings about though they should be off north and east soon. A blackbird is sitting on her nest right next to the backdoor, quite oblivious to passing humans. I wonder if she is one of the many young blackbirds we fed with currants last autumn? Lots of goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches and bullfinches about, particularly eating the black sunflower seeds, also blue, great, coal and long-tailed tits. The long-tailed tits have paired up now so we are hoping they are nesting nearby. Robin, wren, dunnock, jackdaw, collared dove, wood pigeon are regular visitors with, we think, the dunnocks nesting in the ivy on the dry stone wall. A sparrowhawk takes his/her morsel occasionally, too. Our house looks down on the local Nature Reserve with pond and beck, and we regularly see heron, kingfisher and dipper there. From the allotments, we see and hear mainly waders like oystercatcher, curlew and lapwing with the occasional peregrine (nesting on the rock), buzzard and, in recent years, also red kite.
The last three sunny days, it's been the butterflies that's caused the excitement: comma, small tortoiseshell and peacock.
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika

No wonder some parts o't country hevn't so many birds, when tha's getten 'em all i' Yokshire :!:

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

Ay, Alan, tha shouldst see our place, thar's nowt better! It's the fish an' chips, lad, that brings them in.
DJmrcmb
KG Regular

Collared Doves seem to be very popular in ours. You can just fit two on the bird table. I always wondered why that bird table was subsiding :shock:

We've also had Sparrows, Starlings, Bluetits, Robins, Chaffinches and one Magpie.

Not really a great variety in my garden.
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, DJmrcmb, you MUST have other birds in your garden at Morecambe Bay, a wonderful spot for migrants passing through, particularly. Perhaps not on a cool and windy April day, but by May, especially on a warm damp day, you will have lots of others!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic