moving mobile hen houses to new ground

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

fen not fen
KG Regular

How (or rather when) should you do this? Should you do it when they're out and about and if so will they find the hut again? Or should you move the hut when they're roosting and risk panicking the chickens?
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

not an expert ,but dont chickens get upset and stop laying if you move them?
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Diane
KG Regular

I think it would be best to move it whilst they are asleep. Are you moving it far? If so, could you pen them in a run attached to their newly located house for a few days so they can adjust their compass's :)
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
John
KG Regular

Hello Fen
Grock is right - your hens might go off lay for a bit as they adjust to their new position though this is more likely if they are being given a new house. The best time of year to move would be when they are not laying very much - about this time of year?
This would be a good opportunity as well to give the house and birds a good early spring clean. Wash the house inside and out - best to use a pressure washer if you can. I then disinfect mine with Jeyes fluid. Also give the birds a good dusting, treat their legs and worm them.
As far as the best time of day goes, if you are going to wash down the house you'll need to do this in the morning to allow it to dry out before the birds go back in the evening. If the birds can get a sight of the house in its new position then they should go in at night OK. It might be a good idea to encourage them to find their way in the late afternoon by scattering some corn around the house.

John
Loz
KG Regular

Hi Fen

I always move mine in the dark when they are docile, causes far less problems.

Loz
Too much to do and not enough time! See my hoard on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
sandy_v
KG Regular

In the summer I move my hen houses every other day onto a fresh area of grass (it is on wheels and has a detachable run attached - if you see what I mean) then at the end of the season I move it down off the grass on to hard standing and back up in the spring.

I do it when the hens are free ranging, as I don't want to risk dropping it on their toes. They always quickly find their house again and it has never affected their laying. Mind you my plot is only quarter acre or so, so they can always see it wherever they are. Also they are always keen to explore each others houses, although they go back to their own at night.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic