pigs

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jane E
KG Regular

All right I admit defeat! One gilt had ONE dead piglet - total! The other one was with the boar 2 months and is NOT in pig!! Slaughter house on local farmer's next trip there I think. Then I'm only dealing in weaners. This month's article on the small holding was interesting.
peter
KG Regular

Wishing you better luck with the weaners. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
jane E
KG Regular

Slaughter house Monday! Pick up Friday. I hope it goes OK.
jane E
KG Regular

Spent this week wrapping pork joints, curing bacon and putting hams in brine - all a new venture for me. On Tuesday we had pork chops, potatoes and frozen runner beans and I suddenly realised they were all home grown - nice feeling.
maree t
KG Regular

hi jane,
we have just ordered 4 weaners from our local rare breed centre but have received varying quotes for dispatch and butchering , do you mind telling me what it cost for yours please. did you have sausages made?
thanks
maree
The Novice
KG Regular

We're getting three piglets next week and can't wait. I'm so excited. I hope we have better luck with the breeding side though! Sounds like it has been very hard. The plan is to let them clear our ground and weed it for sometime, them put them to a boar and fatten the youngsters. Then, home grown veg and homegrown meat.
Kirsten
jane E
KG Regular

What sort have you got? We've got 4 to fatten - boars this time. I've pmed you.
jane E
KG Regular

Took 4 boars to slaughter today. They followed me meekly out of the trailer, following me as I called them to the pen allocated to them - no hassle. I felt a heel betraying their trust!Pick pork up Wednesday. I have about 1 pig left if anyone in Leics wants any -selling 1/2 pig for £75 and single joints etc for £5 kg. 1/2 pig will be about 25kg. at least so £3 kg. They were a good shape and I suspect the fat/ flesh ratio will be good for GOS x.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic