Hens & Foxes

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi everyone,
It is my intention to keep hens on my allotment this year,can someone tell me when is the best time to buy my hens :?:
I have bulit an enclosed run for them which I belive to be fox proof, I have been told that if the hens catch sight of or even smell the fox this will stop them laying, is this true :?
The run is bulit against a 6ft wall and has a path of 3x2 paving flags all the way round it, the weld mesh is buried 18 inchs and it aslo has a weld mesh roof.
I would be very grateful for any help on this matter

Thank you

Kevin
sandersj89
KG Moderator

I might hold of buying any just yet until we know the full extent of the bird flu problems in Turkey.

Having said that I would try and buy POL birds in spring, these, if hybrids, will then lay well right through their first winter. Please try and get a minimum of three hens as 2 can cause problems with bullying.

The run construction sounds fine, paving slabs will deter most foxes from digging and the weld mesh roof is needed if the run joins the wall as a fox can scale a 6 foot wall probably. I would still recommend you shut the hens in their house at night though to be doubly sure. If you are not close to your hens you can get battery operated pop hole opener/closer mechanisms that work on a light cell.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Louise
KG Regular

I agree - Point of lay pullets in spring are a good bet, commercial hybrids bred for outdoor production lay at least 300 eggs each a year for me for the 1st couple of years, then production drops off.They are pretty robust. You could get some 'spent' battery hens which can lay really well, depending on their condition.

I often have foxes about, and have not noticed any drop in egg production
Louise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic