Baldy bum chickens

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sue
KG Regular

I've got 2 Wyandotte bantams that I bought as POL birds last autumn. They have been in moult for about 3 months now - see below:

There are signs of some re-growth, but is this something to worry about :? I'm getting concerned they will not be feathered up before the colder weather kicks in. Is there anything I can do?

Alternatively, anyone got a pattern for knitted woolly pants to fit a small bantam :shock: :wink:

Sue
Chantal
KG Regular

I can't help with the oven ready look but on the subject of knitting pants, chickens being the shape they are they'd need braces to hold them up and they don't have any shoulders... :? :lol: I bet Nick Park would have some knitting patterns from "Chicken Run". :lol: :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Tigger
KG Regular

What about knitted slings? Or maybe fleece slings?
peter
KG Regular

a picture of Cherie Blair without the makeup. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Do they perch?
Or do they nest?
Hop big is the pop-hole in the shed/
Do they dust bathe at all?
If they nest, how often do you muck out?

It is probably related to something either physically rubbing or chemically attacking their nether regions.
Top suspects, chicken poo and garden/agricultural chemicals.

Years ago my dog went bald all along his chest and it persisted for months, my regular vet was stumped, a second opinion vet said agricultural sprays, keep him off anything more than six inches high. I did and the fur came back within weeks.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

I've gone through a couple of books "Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens" and "Diseases of Free Range Poultry" and can find nothing that looks like your chicken's bum. Lice or mites cause irritation and thus bald batches but not localised like that. If I were you I'd give the Wernlas people a call on 01584 856318. There's nothing that Sue & Shaun don't know and they're very helpful.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Diane
KG Regular

It wouldn't hurt to add some apple cider vinegar to their water (20ml to a litre). It will help with re-feathering, etc.
I give it to my lot one week out of four.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Ive always given poultry spice during moult, well since I had a bantam with similar syptoms XX years ago! and and olde faarmer gave me the tip. Also make sure you are feeding an additive free, colour free feed, such as Marriages. Similar problems happen with horses and dogs if they have an intolerance to some of the colours etc. As already mentioned good hygiene and a perch are essential, but I am sure your hygiene is good and you provide a perch?
fen not fen
KG Regular

which spice?
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

You should be able to buy a product just called poultry spice unless the eec have stopped it! I used to be able to get it from several different places around the county shows, + my feed merchant. I will look and see if I can find a supplier.
My only prejudice is prejudice
RAREBREDCHICK
KG Regular

Should have checked before I replied: Go to www.countryfayre.co.uk and search their site for poultry spice, it is on page 2 of search and costs about 3.49 for a tub, in a yellow container. You dont need to use much. Definatly worth a try! :D
My only prejudice is prejudice
Sue
KG Regular

Thank you for all your replies. In answer to the various questions:

Yup - perch not nest, dust bathe and cleaned out every week
Pop hole fine
Did have a few mites earlier in the summer but nuked them with appropriate gunk and all OK now - this is the only chemicals they have had contact with
They get Poultry Spice and Battles Poultry Drink regularly
Rest of flock OK - moulting but no Cherie Blaire impressions (Peter you are definately a bit strange :shock: :wink: )

I did speak to the nice lady at The Domestic Fowl Trust and she repeated a lot of your advice and then said sometimes young hens in their first moult do go to extremes, so as long as they were happy and healthy, not to panic.

I also asked her about my Victor\Victoria bantam - I put a post on a while ago as I had a hen who had suddenly started crowing each morning. She said - well dear, it will be hormonal and since you can't get HRT for chickens I wouldn't worry about that either :D

Anyway I reckon a Clint Eastwood style poncho is going to be the answer. No probs with the lack of shoulders and free access for egg laying and pooping. You heard it here first - patents pending :twisted:

Sue
Myrkk
KG Regular

My first lot of chickens moulted very badly their first year and since then have been ok ish at moult.
It did take a while for the feathers to replace though
The second lot are scraggy the whole time, even the loss of the cock to the fox hasn't made them look any better. I think sometimes it is breeding and if the genetics aren't as good as they could be then........

Re. Peter and his bald dog. I remember when shake and vac came out..... we had huge amounts of problems with owners and their bald pets at the surgery. On sensitive animals it caused quite a nasty contact allergy dermatitis. What us peeps do to make our homes smell fresh!
jacobsgoldmine
KG Regular

I have the same problem with one of our Maran Cuivre's, have you found anything that made a difference?

Love the idea of knitting her some pants :D

Cath
John
KG Regular

Hello Sue
I've had serious problems with red mite this year and wondered if something like this might be contributing to your problem. These mites hide in the woodwork of the coop during the day and they crawl out at night to feed on the chickens. They are easily missed because when you pick up the hens during the day to check them over they appear quite clear.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic