New to breeding rabbits and I have a few questions

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

SophieBunny
KG Regular

Hi there everyone I’m new here, I’m hoping someone on here has experience with breeding rabbits and can answer my questions.

I have two pet rabbits, one male and one female. They are mixed breed and about 5 months old,
I wanted to breed them before I get them fixed. A few days ago I put them together for an hour to see what happened, the female was willing to mate and the male had about 6 fall offs with loud grunts. However I’m not sure if I saw here lifting for him. They are currently living in separate pens and are doing well. Here’s my questions:

Will she definitely be pregnant?

Do I need to put them together again? And what will happen if they breed again while she’s pregnant?

I just found out today that they are siblings and after reading many online posts about inbreeding I’m terrified that my female rabbit will die during labour or her babies will be deformed, can anyone comment on this?

It will be her first litter, is they’re anything bad that might happen that I should be prepared for?

thanks to everyone who reads this and answers my questions :)
Westi
KG Regular

SophieBunny, I don't have a clue but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Hold on for an answer as if these guys don't breed themselves they will still know or have someone with experience to help. We used to have someone on the plot with bunnies but they weren't pets (we have the old Victorian contracts so permissible to breed on plots for eating)! I couldn't never personally, but do understand from those times it was essential.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic