Grass snake

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Draped across one of the straw bales in the greenhouse today was this - a freshly shed skin from a grass snake. It wasn't there yesterday, so it's very recent. I'm thinking now that I shall leave the bales in there over winter as there might be many a creature hibernating or sheltering in there.
IMG-20200905-WA0003.jpeg
IMG-20200905-WA0003.jpeg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 5257 times
IMG-20200905-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20200905-WA0001.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 5257 times
Monika
KG Regular

Lucky you!
Westi
KG Regular

So long as the over wintering ones are on the guest list though!
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Westi wrote:So long as the over wintering ones are on the guest list though!

I'm delighted to offer them a home over the winter! They will have to clear off in the spring, but I've got enough greenhouse space to give them digs until then.

It seems that the skin is from a male grass snake; reading up on it, we've got an ideal habitat for them with overgrown grass and a large pond nearby, and then the heat of the greenhouse and the straw bales is perfect for their breeding habits, too. As long as the cats or the hedgehogs don't get them (or too many of them), they should do okay. It's very exciting.
Westi
KG Regular

I suppose he will keep the mice & rats (deffo uninvited) will stay away & if he is hibernating you will be able to do stuff in other areas. Will he total hibernate if it is warmish in there? Maybe chat to the local warden in your area for best conditions for him to over winter just in case? You could replicate what he suggests outside if it might not be cold enough inside? Then he has the option to move back in early spring to get a head start on the family chores.
Westi
Kayburton
KG Regular

Be careful, you never know what else will start. Then it was not enough to call an ambulance. I myself live in a private house and do not mind the animals that are sometimes on my site, but I still prefer to be careful.
Stravaig
KG Regular

What did it taste like?

Just kidding!!! :twisted: (Please don't be angry.)
Primrose
KG Regular

Lucky you! Always exciting to get something a little unusual. Imagine the very warm autumn has delayed any hibernation. You may have to be quick to catch it when spring comes. They,re perhaps slow when first coming out of hibernation but my last rare experience with these creatures taught me they can be pretty fast movers. I should imagine hibernation in straw bales in a greenhoude is a very cosy hibernation spot.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We don't get Grass Snakes this far north, though with climate change they are being found in the Borders, we do get Adders though, not really want you would want in your greenhouse...................................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic