Herons

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lizzie
KG Regular

Hi all

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this one.

In the park very close to where I live there are two pairs of herons nesting near the lake.

How rare is this? I read somewhere that it was unusual to find one pair, let alone two in close proximity to each other. I just can't remember where I read it.

Any thoughts peeps?
Lots of love

Lizzie
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Lizzie

This is usual for herons, they tend to nest together in Heronries. One of the largest in the country is not far from where I live called Swell Wood.

Barney
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Lizzie - We have a Grey heron here, which we often see standing at the edge of the lake and occasionally flying over. Only once have we seen two together. They were flying overhead, one behind the other. Interesting, so I've now looked it up in the RSPB book. It states they are 'ususally solitairy, but also seen in groups'. It also confirms what Cider Boys has said re breeding colonies are called heronries and adds 'although single nests are not uncommon'. I had never seen a heron before I came to the UK and I am still fascinated by them. If you want any further info, the RSPB book has loads of info on their breeding, nests, habitat, etc. I am happy to post more details if you want them.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
lizzie
KG Regular

Thanks chaps.

It was just with there being to breeding pairs. Especially in the middle of the city. I'm only 3 miles from the city centre and it's not exactly quiet around here. There are also loads of swans, including a black one. Beautiful creatures.

I've often watched the herons taking off to find food. Bloody magnificent. For such a large bird they are so graceful once up in the air.

The fishermen aren't too happy as a lot of the fish have gone. That's tough. I believe there are also some nesting down by the Mersey. I'll have to go and have a look.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Tigger
KG Regular

I agree with you Lizzie that they're elegant, but they're also a blessed nuisance here as they strip out the Trout from our freshwater stream. Mind you - we've had fewer visits since the dog and 3 cats have attempted to trap them. They always fail to get anywhere near, but they're obviously enough of a threat to have made some impact. If they return - I'll redirect them to Liverpool. :lol:
Chantal
KG Regular

I used to live at Draycote Water (my parents ran the Sailing Club www.draycotewater.co.uk) and on one of the banks, strangly enough right next to the trout farm, there was a heron tree. They used to sit there for hours, up to 20 of them at a time during the summer, waiting for the staff to leave so they could hit the ponds. They all nested around the area too with such good grub on hand. We were in the country though, not in the middle of Liverpool...
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic