House chicken

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

Some time ago (I can't find the post) someone asked about having a chicken as a house pet. I replied saying it wasn't a good idea, for various reasons.

Last week when the temperatures here dropped well below freezing, we brought our last, lonely and aged (9) girl to live in the kitchen. She's been amazing. After a couple of days of being under our feet and skidding around on the hardwood floor we've got used to each other.

The five cats don't trouble her, she lines up with them at breakfast. She spends most of her time snoozing in front of the wood burner and chats to me, especially when she wants another log chucking in. :lol:

Being at home with her helps a lot, but I leave her alone when I go shopping. I often come back to find her napping with a cat. At night she sleeps in a huge cat basket with a towel over the top, like a giant budgie.

Provided I keep a box of tissues and cleaning spray handy for the inevitable poo, the only mess is her chucking her food around a bit.

I am pleasantly surprised, but I think her age and me now being retired and at home makes a big difference. Hardwood flooring is also a must. :wink:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Monika
KG Regular

Oh, I loved that story, Chantal, especially the chicken napping with the cat!
robo
KG Regular

The lady who is my coworker Ruth was given a bantam she decided to take it home she then bought a shed especially for her when the weather turned cold she decided to keep her indoors to keep her warm she is now after a second one to keep the original company
Chantal
KG Regular

I think I'm losing the plot. Flossy is off her food today, so I have baked her favourite lemon sponge cake. She stuffed her beak like a musket and is now sleeping it off.
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I suppose it's a good job she wasn't a cow... :)

A lovely thing to do, Chantal...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

I can't believe I am now chef, fire stoker and shit shoveller to an elderly chicken!

As job descriptions go... however, as you say OH, it could be so much worse. :lol:
Chantal

retropants
KG Regular

Sounds like she has a great landlady!
Chantal
KG Regular

Oh she has that alright. She's sitting by the woodburner at my feet, chatting away to Coco and Diego, who are looking disgusted at a chicken getting pole position for the heat. They're not saying anything. :wink:
Chantal

Primrose
KG Regular

Chantal. That is one of the most delightful stories I have heard for ages in these miserable days. Just love the thought of her gently clucking away with her various companions She,s probably having the time of her life with none of this social distancing nonsense. You may have a hard time dislodging her from this luxury hotel when warmer weather comes. Guess you now have this house guest for life as she,ll,probably pine for company terribly when returned to her usual quarters.

Reminds me of some friends who took up "the Good Life" and acquired a tiny Vietnamese pot bellied piglet as a pet. (Yes,they were rather naive at first!,). Initially he lived with them in their farm house kitchen but he grew so huge they eventually had to turf him outside. By that stage though, he,d sadly assumed he was one of the family and pined and howled for ages until he became accustomed to outdoor life!
Chantal
KG Regular

She is loving it Primrose. She's been on her own for so long and although we've done our best to sit with her in the garden, it's not been easy. We managed just about every day this year, with her running around the garden, but now there's bird flu around, DEFRA have her in lockdown too. For a few weeks we'd sit with her in the summerhouse, she poked around and enjoyed the company. I'd sit and read to her, not that she took it in, but to hear her trill back is lovely.

In the summertime we have the patio doors open and she's been in and out all year. Her favourite thing has been lying on her side in the sunshine. A couple of times I thought she was dead!

She's so old now, it's always a surprise that she's up and ready for breakfast each morning.
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know where i'm moving to, when I retire... :)

Chantal
KG Regular

You'd be very welcome OH. I'll make you up a nice bed with fresh hay and be sure to clean up after you as you potter round the kitchen. :roll:
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well that's my retirement home sorted out then.... :)

Chantal
KG Regular

I'm not sure you'll approve of the menu of cracked maize, layers pellets, dried mealworms, sweetcorn and catfood, although I'm sure the lemon drizzle cake and sausage rolls will go down nicely. :lol:
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

Chantal, I think OH is already there!

Chicken holds out for lemon drizel cake, it's OH in that suit he had to wear when he was advertising for KFC.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic