Lupin seeds and goldfinches

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I know lupin seeds are poisonous to humans but are they edible for goldfinches? Can't find the relevant answer on internet which will guide how I dispose of my seed pods which have just finished flowering.
Monika
KG Regular

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, Primrose, but I have never seen goldfinches feeding on our lupin seeds. Teasels, lavender, dandelions, yes, but never on lupins. And are lupin seeds not used to make oil for human consumption?
Breq
KG Regular

There is an edible version of sweet lupin (RealSeeds has them) but the flowering ones we all love, are not for human consumption. I have never seen the goldfiches eat them either (and we have so many of them!). I just put my deadheaded tops in the compost, no problems after all these years. Same thing I do with rhubarb leaves - never eat those, either.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Goldfinches eat much smaller seeds than those in Lupins, the Nyger seed we buy from the shops is the sort of thing they like.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Breq
KG Regular

I can vouch for that tigerburnie! My seed bill for niger seed says it all...
retropants
KG Regular

They will even come down to the lawn and eat the dandelion seeds right off the plant!
Breq
KG Regular

Ooh, your are well trained. Mine like the lavender hedge but I've not seen them tidy up the dandelions yet!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic