Chickens...

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elmigo
KG Regular

Perhaps this is an amazing question for Alan and his colorful eggs! I remember my neighbours at the old house having chickens in their backyard. We have both moved at about the same time. They started travelling the world in a motorhome but we are no longer connected so I cannot ask them.

What do I need to keep chickens from start to end, what do they feed on? How do I have to arrange any garden to make it a wonderful place to be for the little ones? How do you keep them happy and what mistakes should never be made?

I am not planning to keep any hens or roosters soon, but the near future may even allow it and I am getting curious :mrgreen:
Last edited by Elmigo on Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robo
KG Regular

If you cherish your garden keep chickens off it, I have mine in a pen it’s not ideal as I can’t move it around ,a lot depends on how many chickens you want to keep ,as a rule of thumb it’s 2 meters square of run for each chickens to be classed as free range ,I have 12 chickens I only wanted 6 to comply with council rules but I thought I would cheat and buy 6 point of lay pullets along with the 2 I already had that lay blue eggs I thought
it was ok then a fellow plotter died his wife walked away from his plot leaving his fellow plotters to rehouse his chickens I finished up with most of them including 2 that had a virus which killedthem both and 2 others so now I have 12 ,they roost in an 8 feet x 6 feet shed with four laying boxes I have a hole cut in it around a meter off the ground with a door on a timer for them to access, I feed them layers pellets they are in a hanging bucket with a large spring on the bottom that they peck at which then releases a few pellets I also give them half a pint of mixed corn when I go in to collect the eggs in winter I give them a bowl of warm porridge each morning they also have vitamins and white wine vinegar in their water but remember where there are chickens there are rats
Elmigo
KG Regular

Ouch, the rats may be reason enough not to do it! If I ever have the space I might...

Thank you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic