Chickens

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

About six weeks ago one of my fellow plotters wanted a broody hen to sit on some eggs , I had three sussex cross bantams that go broody if you look at them the wrong way so I gave them to him, I then went and bought four point of lay chickens ,the following week I was given three chickens that had just finished moulting these three were supposed to lay blue eggs ,I've read about blue eggs but I've never seen one but this weekend we had two one Saturday the other Sunday they are supposed to be low cholesterol we will see
Westi
KG Regular

I'd love to have some chooks but don't have the time to invest just yet in keeping them happy & a bit put off by the rats. Is not an egg an egg regardless of the colour of shell & anyway they have decided eggs are good for you - well for this month anyway! ;)
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Different breeds lay different coloured eggs, I was assured by a commercial chicken farmer years ago they are all the same and all taste the same, but folk don't want to know that. I've never kept any, but I would keep birds that laid different colours if I did, even though it's what they eat that changes the flavour.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've had some Chilean Araucana that lay greenish blue eggs and some Cream legbar that lay a good sized sky blue egg.

You get a much better flavoured egg if you feed them a varied nutritious diet and plenty of greens to keep the yolks golden. I can't see how the breed or shell colour would have any effect on the cholesterol content. Everyone who has had eggs from my hens has commented on how good they taste compared to shop bought eggs and I was surprised at the difference myself when I bought some organic free range ones the last time mine stopped laying. They weren't very nice at all.

You can look up the colour of the egg that different breeds lay and if you look at the colour of the hen's ear covers they usually are the colour of the eggs they lay - or so they say.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic