Hedgehog behaviour

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The baby hedgehog I mentioned a few weeks ago is still around and seems to be a bit of a character.

I know they say that if you see a hedgehog out in the daytime it is usually ill, but the baby one here has always been the first to come for the meal worms I put out and cleans up any sunflower seeds the birds drop well before its dark. Sometimes I meet it in the afternoon foraging about and two days ago after a cold night and showers all morning it was laid in a patch of sunshine on the lawn. I thought it was dead but when I moved away it got up and ran under the bushes so it must have been warming up in the sun. Then this morning it was at the back door eating the cat food I put out for a stray that visits. My cat won't eat anything he has left over from the day before so I don't mind the other cat finishing it off so now our hungry hedgehog is getting there before the cat. I just hope it isn't ill and manages to put enough weight on to get it through the winter.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Sounds like it's just fine and filling up ready for hibernation, just don't set fire to the bonfire!!
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

PP! How lucky to have them in your garden! Feed him up & make him a hibernation spot!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, if it,s young creature it will probably need a lot of fattening up to get through the winter. Am sure you're sorting out some nooky hibernation places for it and getting in a few tins of whiskas to fatten it up. Lucky you for having it !
AuroraUK
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Sounds like it's just fine and filling up ready for hibernation, just don't set fire to the bonfire!!

Totally agree :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic