Early fledgling

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just saved a newly fledged blackbird chick from the cat. He was distracted by the parents momentarily and I grabbed him and kept him in the house while it recovered and managed to fly/climb over the fence to safety. It always amazes me how they manage to raise so many when their young are so vulnerable and there are so many cats about.

Have you seen any fledglings yet?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Plumpudding, i have seen a single Blackbird fledgling, it was by itself at the time, but it had gone later in the day.
Also seen two Moorhen chicks, but since they normally have a large brood, i take it the rest have been predated already. This happens every year and the main culprits are Cats and Crows, around here.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
vivienz
KG Regular

Unfortunately, one of our cats got a blackbird fledgling a couple of weeks ago. We've been getting the cats in before dusk and keeping them in overnight until I leave for work since, and will continue to do this for the next couple of months. We have a lot of birdboxes on our house and we really don't want them to be there just to provide amusement for the cats. The first brood of starling chicks hatched in 1 box early last week so it won't be long before they fledge.
Monika
KG Regular

No, unfortunately. One blackbird nest in our open porch was predated by a magpie (we think) and another one by a cat. They are now building a third nest in the ivy right next to our back door and we hope the position and proximity to the house will deter predators. Keep your fingers crossed for success!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic