Chooks away......

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

......as in... all secured in a large pen and coop, awaiting Defra's announcement (hopefully Jan 6th) that it's ok to let them free range again. They are not happy girls...not happy at all..but I'm not risking them being exposed to bird flu.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

How many hens have you got Diane? I've got 7 but haven't locked them up. I've not seen any sick wild birds and I do the garden birdwatch for the BTO every day so do keep an eye on everything and there is no chance of my hens passing anything on to commercial livestock. I don't think I'm being irresponsible letting them out in the orchard and I would definitely keep them in if I saw any sick wild birds.
Westi
KG Regular

Out allotment has put up a sign advising everyone to cage theirs. Our neighbour has built up the sides of their cage with some more plastic sheeting but they have loads of room - lets hope we don't see it over here but it is pretty invasive as the birds are wild and will go where they want.

Westi
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

I only have 4 at the moment...but I'm just not taking any chances. The bird flu has got as far as Calais area now. Just not worth risking their health or spreading the disease should they come in contact with a bird with the disease. It's only for a month. I'm taking the opportunity to feed them, for a week, with the pellets with added Flubenvet too, as they won't have access to any other foraged feed.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
KG Tony
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I did see that there had been three dead swans found in Dorset, so it's best to be safe. It didn't say whether they were infected or not but it is most likely to arrive with migratory birds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic