Just surprised a Hedgehog

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Went to rewater the greenhouse border and coming back to the house I startled a hedgehog on the path hovering up snails brought out by today's showers, hedgehog legged it surprisingly fast into cover. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Three years ago there were regularly up to 6 hedgehogs of various sizes and colours - one huge one was a pale biscuit colour.

Since the severe winters I've not seen any in the garden at all despite leaving overgrown corners and installing a cosy hedgehog home.

You are so lucky to still have them, and they would certainly have a feast of slugs and snails (do they eat snails?).
Primrose
KG Regular

We haven't seen any hedgehogs in our garden for several years, possibly because fences have been repaired/replaced and soil level gaps where they could have passed through have now largely been filled up.
But for any hedgehog who can manoeuvre through the low gap between the front garden gate into the back garden, a feast awaits! .
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The hedgehogs are back :D

This week I've seen three in the front garden apparently having a noisy snorty huddle. This morning I've found one asleep in the outside nest box in the hen run in the orchard in the top garden. It had made a nest out of straw and torn bits of newspaper. I'm so glad they're back. It has taken them six years to recover from the 2010 winter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic