Troubled by squirrels??

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

If so, I'll send you my cat Tomos. All you have to do is pay her train fare and feed her!
Over the past three days she has killed two grey squirrels. The second one she brought in just a while ago through the cat flap as I was finishing my after dinner coffee.
Has anyone else got a squirrel-catching cat?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not a cat, Alan, but my old whippet used to get them if she ever caught them out in the open.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

My mates father was caught feeding the squirrels cat food nobody could understand it as he hated them we all thought he was going a bit senile this went on for nearly a month every evening he could be seen hand feeding one or two , one of them was getting a bit brave and was taking the cat food from his fingers till his other hand came from behind his back and caught the tree rat with the iron bar he had in it, the next evening my mate walked in from work to find his father looking through the kitchen window giggling to himself with his hand resting on a plug switch on looking closer he found a wire going from the plug to an opened tin of kittykat it was at that point that my mate decided enough was enough
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1554 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1554 (640x480).jpg (242.16 KiB) Viewed 4071 times

She's still at it :!:

Tomos and squirrel number three.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
alan refail
KG Regular

Has she disposed of all the squirrels?

Last night she brought in a bat :!:

Have I got a flying cat :?:
Primrose
KG Regular

Alan, you'd better tell your postman to watch out ! Your cat is onviously developing some adventurous tastes. I would have thought a bat would be pretty difficult to catch .
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's a large cat Alan. My cat only weighs 4lb and isn't much bigger than a squirrel. She tends to catch baby mice and is very pleased with herself. I think she has wiped out the last few water shrew here as I've not seen any since she left two dead on the step. I felt quite sad as they were pretty little things with black fur and white ear covers
Diane
KG Regular

One of our cats catches bats too :( He stands on the garage roof and waits for them. Then he brings them in and we find them flying up and down the stairs - which is not fun when you are just about to retire for the night ! But most of them survive - once they've figured out how to fly out of the open front door. One bat took an hour to find its way out - in spite of us having all the big windows and both doors open.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

smile.

I fed my neighbours cat last week whilst they were away, it's the first time I ever realized a cat could be so quick as to catch a squirrel.

This cat mostly catches mice though he brings in moles and last week a squirrel. Bizarre thing is we don't see many squirrels round here.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
alan refail
KG Regular

Cats have better eyesight, Richard :wink:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:Cats have better eyesight, Richard :wink:

:D Yes, of-course.

We do have a few trees and I always thought squirrels were quite gregarious. With me outside most of the time I would expect the odd sitting and attendance at the bird feeders but thankful we only ever saw birds.

I'm wondering if the buzzards take them to such an extent they are few, we have pine woodland within 400 metres, sycamore and ash around the farm buildings and outbuildings.

I only once heard an owl in 15 years and maybe two squirrel siteings but we always have a pair of buzzards. Just the two.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic