House Sparrows

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

For the first time in five years,I've had House Sparrows in my garden this week, flitting amongst the plants and eating from the feeders. I'm so chuffed!
Once upon a time, Sparrows were so numerous, we never noticed them...only missing them when they were no longer around and then feeling glad to see just one.
I'm very happy to see their numbers increasing again.

And....I saw two Swifts last night! :lol: :lol:
Happy with my lot
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The House Sparrows here have had a very good breeding year too. There were up to a hundred about 20 years ago then they almost disappeared and struggled along with about 4 or 5, so far this year I've counted 11 at any one time.
They used to decimate the peas, but so far these "new ones" haven't learned the habit. Fingers crossed. I've put some sparkly windmills next to the peas in the hope that this will keep them away.
Elaine
KG Regular

That's good to hear Plum Pudding. I've always liked Sparrows!
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

Sadly we haven,t seen any sparrows in our garden for over ten years. They used to be such common birds too. Such a pity. I can't figure why they have completely disappeared. We have dunnocks, robins and chaffinches who seem to survive in the same habitat.
peter
KG Regular

Reroofing of houses with holey roofs.
Our first extension the builders removed loads of nests, redistribution of tiles for uniform front aspect, with new eaves and underfelt they didn't regain access.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

Had a squadron of them in my back garden last year,disappeared this year;better feeding elsewhere!!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Monika
KG Regular

They have come to us, Snooky! We have always had a few around but this year they are the predominant bird in our garden and making a nuisance of themselves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic