Foxes

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Plot100

Has any one got a deterant for foxes please.
Plot100
arthur e
KG Regular

hi plot
you don't say what your trying to protect from them.
john english
KG Regular

We have foxes on our allotment, they ruin fleece by tearing large holes to get under, an tips on a deterent would be most helpful.
John
arthur e
KG Regular

hi plot
I've lost chickens to foxes previously but not this year. I would like to put it down to a sugestion from someone on the forum that foxes don't like the smell of humans, so I've been scent marking around my hen run with what a lot of lotty people put on their compost heaps when nobody is looking. maybe if you spray a bit around your fleece it might work, worth a try and it's cheap.
arthur e
richard p
KG Regular

wasnt lion poo from longlete safari park tried several years ago?? otherwisw the only thing i know of is a twelve bore.
jane E
KG Regular

Renardine? I wouldn't use it in the garden because it smells horrible, but should be OK on plot. It effectively kept my dog off patches I didn't want her to go on years ago.
Railway Child
KG Regular

What you need is a dog like mine: a border collie who thinks he's a lion!!
Any foxes that venture in or near my garden are quickly caught and despatched with the minimum of fuss by old Bob Smith - he'll be 12 this year but still the fastest collie in the east!

RC
Sally
KG Regular

:shock: i could do with a dog like that!

urine is a good, though only really practical if you're a man and not overlooked by your neighbours.

hugh fearnley-whittingstall in his book recommends collecting hair from your brush, bagging it up inside old tights, and tying it onto the wire around your poultry coop. lots of human smell on hair... you could try that on your allotment.
Franksmum
KG Regular

Ugh I loathe foxes - a 12 bore was used v effectively to dispatch the fox that killed our cat a long, long time ago.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

Our neighbours keep ducks & chickens, so we hear the foxes wandering around regularly. Our allotments are opposite our house and many's the time I've seen Mr Reynard digging up someone's onions.

They're quite used to people, so will often trot by when I'm down there weeding etc. Since they don't affect me, I quite like to see a bit of nature in the neighbourhood. Here's one that visited last Summer:

Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden

.22 high velocity hollow point is the best deterrant, sorry, solution.
jopsy
KG Regular

oh colin thats a lovely picture!
lion pooh was supposed to work-most wildlife parks sell it
electric fencing, perhaps
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh Jopsy,
What a wonderful saying at the bottom of your posting. Sadly I feel that some of the naturalist that we hear on the radio put it into practice!!
JB.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

jopsy wrote:lion pooh was supposed to work-most wildlife parks sell it

Actually, the foxes don't cause me any problems. I'm glad to see a bit of wildlife about the place.

Mind you, stopping the local cats digging up my seedbeds might be worthing bringing the lion dung!
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic