Bees missing!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I really do think that Bumblebees numbers have increased hugely in the last few years, around this area anyway, as there seem to be lots of nest about.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I am really concerned. There were a few little bees on the raspberries & another couple of white bum ones just flying around but not really favoring anything in particular. My neighbours have also noted the same. The Hawthorn in the hedge row is in full blossom & spectacular this year but that is also bare of bees!

Maybe it was just a little too damp over winter? No one on the site keeps bees so haven't taken any away! Mystery! :?:

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Did you have a lot of flooding this winter? Perhaps their winter hibernation holes were flooded and a lot were killed.

We had plenty of rain, but no flooding and fortunately we have lots of different of bumble bee species and also the hive bees are doing very well.

Do you have some hive bees in the area? Their numbers should be increasing now with the warm weather and plentiful nectar/pollen supply.
Westi
KG Regular

Didn't flood as such but was soggy & they may well have got flooded. Shame really. Farmer in the field behind has maize in rather than rape so not going to attract any via that avenue. Hopefully the few that are there will go back to what nests they have & spread the word.

I'm really interested in getting a hive but until our new site location is decided won't be investing!

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

It's well to remember that bees are not the only pollinators. Many species of flies do a useful job, especially early in the season, hoverflies later on; and don't go killing wasps - they do a great deal of pollinating.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Alan - yes there are many useful pollinators. The only things I kill are slugs, but only if they are in wrong place. I even evacuate lady birds from digging areas as pretty much feel everything has a place in the ecosystem.

I'm sure my bees will find their way eventually.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder if the bees are drawn more to the trees in bloom at this time of the year, as the Red Horse Chesnut tree and Sycamore trees were buzzing loudly with bees yesterday morning. But there were hardly any on the poached egg plants over the allotment, and they are a favourite normally.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Whoop they're back! Had loads today, so many you could hear them buzzing. There were bumbles, white bum ones, the little tiny ones & some really handsome ones with a bright orange bum - it was so bright it was nearly neon!

They were enjoying the chive flowers & raspberry blossom.

Happy Westix
Westi
r1hvy
KG Regular

I keep hearing the bee population is in decline, I am thinking of doing my part and having a hive like this http://www.approvedtrader.co.uk/?T=Bee%20Hives%20For%20Sale what do you guys reckon?
I know its not an easy uptaking but I have the times, space and willingness to learn.
robo
KG Regular

I would love to have a go but our council will not allow them on the allotments
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:I would love to have a go but our council will not allow them on the allotments

Our council allows bees, but no other livestock, on our plots providing no neighbouring plot holders object.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just looked back at this post and noticed that the photo is of the tree bumblebee. Your I. D.of Bombus hypnorum didn't ring a bell at the time :roll: They are a fairly new species to Britain but have spread rapidly and are doing very well. They like bird boxes, holes in roofs and huts etc, anywhere cosy and dry. At least you couldn't be accused of keeping bees if you were lucky enough to have a nest on your allotment. Some arrived in my garden a few years ago and they seem to find a new nest site every year. They are nice natured and don't get agressive if you just let them get on with things the same as most bees.
Monika
KG Regular

rihvy, if you are new to bee keeping, I think the first thing to do is to find a local bee keeping group and join it. They tend to be a very friendly and helpful lot and often also hold courses and can help with equipment.

And, Plumpudding, we had a tree bumblebee nest in one of our sparrow boxes in 2014 and had hoped to get them back this summer. But the box was occupied by - sparrows!

We certainly had plenty of bumble bees in the area this summer, because most of our flower plantings are geared towards attracting them. Honey bee sightings were down, but I think one of the local beekeepers has given up.
thebigflyin
KG Regular

Hi there guys

two of the big problems directly liked to bee numbers declining is
1: traditional beekeeping , modern beekeeping, or what ever you like to call it.
2: pesticides.
that is why it has been found that the strongest bee numbers are in urban, not rural areas. with this said there challenge in urban areas is accommodation. so if you can provide honey bees with any sort of accommodation, that would be fantastic.

have a look at Phill Chandlers site, and beekeeping book and style.

http://www.biobees.com/

Kevin
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Sparked by this post, I've just ordered a bee identification chart for my husbands Christmas stocking. I want to see how many we see next year at the allotment and in the garden.

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic