EGGS

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Everyone :)

As result of this lovely weather we are having my hen run is like a mud bath :evil: it doesn't matter how much straw and wood chippings I put in their run and coop the eggs are somewhat dirty :roll: now i don't normally wash my eggs as they say it shortens the length of time you can keep them :?

My Question is Would you wash them :o

Regards

Arnie
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Chantal
KG Regular

I don't until I'm about to use them.

Mine chickens are in a similar state to yours. :(
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Diane
KG Regular

I just give them a gentle wipe if they need it.

Maybe if you could get a few pallets down in the run , it would help keep their feet dry?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I would say a gentle wipe as shells are porous and you could wash dirt in. If the shells are dry when you come to use the egg it should be OK without washing if you're careful. Commercial pheasant hatcheries always wash their eggs but they're not going to eat them!

MW
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I always wash the mud off in cold water as soon as I can. If you leave it on to dry it can mark the shell and is much harder to remove and as the shells are absorbent I think it is more hygienic to clean them. I haven't noticed any reduction in shelf life, but use them up fairly fast any way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic