Early Birds

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody do the Early Bird Survey? It's not too late.
http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gb ... ird-survey
It was very dark this morning when I put the food out just after 7 and it was 07:48 when a Robin appeared fairly closely followed by a Blackbird as I would probably expect. What was strange was I usually feed them about 8:15 - 8:30 and by the time I get into the house the greedy Doves are there but today they didn't appear until 08:40, I wonder if they normally see me. I was patiently waiting for the tenth species to complete the form, wondering if it would be Dunnock, Tree Sparrow or Brambling when a Pheasant appeared. Not on the list so I had to wait for a Tree Sparrow at 08:45 to compete the job.
Catherine
KG Regular

I haven't done a survey but I haven't been sleeping recently and I have, on several occasions, been standing in the garden at 3 or 4 am and the robin is very vocal. I read somewhere that they sing because of the street lights which keep them singing early in the morning. We have also got a pair of doves sitting in the trees opposite our house are cooing in the middle of the night.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Geoff, I completed the survey but it was late coming light as it was raining heavily when I went to let the hens out. Then it cleared quickly and was nice and light by 8.15 when I started the survey. I've been hearing a robin singing long before daylight for a couple of weeks now, and it seems to have worked as he has brought his girl friend to the feeders this morning.
They are both being very flirty so hope they make it to spring. I counted 9 different cats in the garden this morning not including mine so it is rather hazardous for the birds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic