Hive bees foraging in December

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My bees have been out for at least part of every day recently (except when we had the gales). I've been watching where they go as I couldn't think where they were finding so much pollen even though there are still a few flowers and shrubs out. Mystery solved - we have ivy flowering all along the boundary wall and they only have to fly a short distance to gather the pollen. The bee man had put some fondant in the hive to keep them going over winter as he had taken 20 lbs of honey out, but this extra food they can gather while it is still mild should help them get through the winter until the queen starts laying again in March.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Plumpudding, that's an interesting little snippet, i must admit i would like to keep Bees in the future, we will see. And Ivy never ceases to amaze me by the amount of insects on it, especially if the sun is out, another one of natures wonder plants.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Business meeting st the old Royal Mint Court today snd being early, as is my wont, I wandered down to photograph HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.
on the way across the back of the Tower the railings along the street were covered by ivy in flower, No bees thst I saw, hut many other insects. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic