Late for hedgehogs?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

A couple of nights ago we saw a hedgehog wandering around in the garden. Surely they should be hibernating by now? We put out some car food for it and have made up a dry leafy waterproof bed for it in the corner of the garden in case it's still but I' m wondering how late in the year they stay awake before bedding themselves down for winter.
peter
KG Regular

I think it's a temperature thing? :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

If you are seeing the hedgehog out during the daytime it is likely to be having problems and if you can I would take it to a wildlife sanctuary or contact the RSPCA. Hedgehogs are nocturnal and daytime activities are often a sign that something is wrong especially at this time of year.

Hedgehogs can stay awake until Christmas so if you are seeing the hedgehog at night and if it is a good size and looks healthy (no limping etc) then there is still time for it to hibernate successfully.

Any hedgehog that weighs less than 600g at this time of year won't have made enough body weight to see it through hibernation so again needs to be taken to a wildlife rescue.

There is information about when a hedgehog needs help on this website
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/hedgehogs.html
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I found one at work Friday, it had decided to hibernate on a bank, under a yew tree. It doesn't look like the best place to me, as it is fairly open, so i put some more dry leaves over it. I will probably put some light conifer branches over it too, next week. just to stop the leaves blowing away.

There was a little piece on radio 4 the other morning, saying they are now suffering from three life threatening complaints, worms and bugs i think...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

OH a half dozen bricks and a square of ply to make a lean-to on top that won't blow away, but will keep water off without squishing him before more leaves and branches?

Dry and insulated but breathable.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
glallotments
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:There was a little piece on radio 4 the other morning, saying they are now suffering from three life threatening complaints, worms and bugs i think...

Hedgehogs suffer from Lungworm which is spread by slugs and snails and can transfer to dogs and cats if they sniff at affected creatures which is why it is a good idea to have your pet treated with a preventative application.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's a good idea Peter, i will see what i can rustle up.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic