Gone So Early this Year

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

This has to be the first year all the swallows and martins have returned home so early, in previous years we have had them still flying around allotments but this year they stated to disappear late august which by my records is very early.
I am starting to see small numbers of birds flying south but around here we have had nothing for about 3 weeks, any ideas :?

Regards

Arnie :)
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Arnie. Yes, the Swallows and House martins started disappearing from round here about that time too. On Saturday afternoon, there were about a dozen House martins...and one lone Swift...whizzing around the allotment but I haven't seen the Martins which frequent where I live for two weeks.

Swifts have been scarce this year, only one party of six over the allotment. Other years we have worked away listening to lots of screaming parties overhead and I've really missed their company this year.
Happy with my lot
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Second wave of swallows filled the skies yesterday but nothing today.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Elaine & Motherwomen,

There's me posting and complaining that I had no swallows & Martins around here :o just after I posted I spotted (well heard first) a smallish flock of about 10 to 15 on a north/south heading down towards Cheshire :)
Then later on this afternoon when I went to my allotment to feed my hens and I spotted a rather large flock of birds feeding over the allotments they stayed for about 15 minutes but they headed off in a south west direction so I am assuming that they will be taking a coastal route.
I have come to the conclusion that as we have had such a good summer that Swallows & House Martins have had a very good breeding season and that is why they have got off early, might be wrong but its the only answer I can come up with.

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Arnie
KG Regular

Anyone still have any Swallows & House Martins about :) :)

Regards

Arnie
KG Regular

Anyone still have any Swallows & House Martins about :) :)

Regards

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We still had some Swallows flying around here Sunday, Arnie.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH :D

The last sighting I had was Friday morning, just a small group and then they weren't hanging about heading south, I think they will be the last one's I will see this year :(

I have been looking at cost's as to the building of a Swift Tower on our allotments which hopefully will also have House Martin / Swallow nest's on it as well, might even have a look at bat boxes :shock: :lol: that should keep me out of mischief over the winter :D

Regards

Motherwoman
KG Regular

There was a solitary swallow flying across the field this afternoon when I walked the dogs, no doubt wondering where all his mates have gone...
Elaine
KG Regular

I haven't seen any swallows or martins for over a week now. Always sad to see them go.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic