Dancing Stoat

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Motherwoman
KG Regular

This was a first for me, spotted a stoat running across the trackway to the field across the road, then it ran back and flipped about a few times, got up on it's hind legs and jumped around, back flips, the whole lot. Then it dived straight into the hedge on one side and didn't come back out. Otherhalf and I just watched it, totally fascinating. He had read about this behaviour as a way of 'fascinating' the rabbits who sit mesmerised and then become dinner.
Isn't wildlife just amazing.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

MW
Wicky
KG Regular

Wow, you lucky thing! I'd love to see that.

I did see something unusual today though - a parrot. Little green jobbie with red on its head and round it's eyes, hiding in the long grass at the side of my lottie. I wasn't brave enough to try and catch it :(
Elaine
KG Regular

Oh how wonderful!
About fifteen years ago, whilst birdwatching, we were scanning a field for a rare-ish bird and a stoat appeared from behind a hummock. As I watched, another six of them literally tumbled out and all seven of them started frolicking around in a circle. They performed a most amazing display, similar to what you have described, including rolls and leaps. I was mesmerised! After several minutes, the stoats left the circle, one by one like dancers leaving a reel and disappeared. I felt so happy watching these creatures.

I dipped out on the bird, though my friends saw it. All in all, I wasn't too disappointed, as I reckoned I would probably have a chance to see another bird but the likelihood of seeing stoats acting in this manner again was remote.

I was right...I saw the rare-ish bird the following year but I have never witnessed anything like the stoat dance again. :D
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

I wonder if the green parrot you saw was one of the wild parakeets we have round here where we have whole flocks of them and occasionally in bad weather they will down to our garden to feed from the peanut cages. On one occasion we had about a dozen of them flying around the garden and the swooping around of green feathers was quite mesmerising.
Monika
KG Regular

We have stoats living in the dry stone walls round the allotment and sometimes see them popping their head out.
Very pretty looking creatures but if you have ever heard a rabbit screaming in pain as he is being killed by a stoat, you then look at them in a slightly different light!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've seen them around here before and I think it's possible that I've lost a couple of young chickens to stoats as they just disappear. I was driving my son to the school bus stop one morning and saw a rabbit flipping about in the road but progressing towards one side and when I was closer I could see the stoat dragging it along. Bit like an ant moving something several times its size.

Seeing a whole group dancing must have been amazing.

MW
Elaine
KG Regular

It certainly was MW....I've never forgotten it. I feel very lucky to have seen it. My birdwatching pals were too intent on finding the rare bird for their year list, to see the stoats' antics, even though we were all stood together. I love watching birds but I'm glad I didn't miss this spectacle...it made my day!
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic