New henhouse

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Diane wrote: The only way we got it smaller was to crop it.

Thats what I thought.

Both my cameras eventually produced a small file, why does everything have to be so difficult. Both cameras presumably give pixel sizes though there are also choices for wide or tall.

On a hosting site I use they do offer the correct size-correction for internet forums but the "correct' size differs from one forum to another.

My partner just called about chickens, she rents near where she works. They have chickens and whilst they are aware of fox predation and do what they can they were cleared out by a neighbours dog yesterday. They now have new chick-girls with frilly-frocks.

Is that what you have Diane ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

On my Android tablet and phone I have installed an App called reducephotosize, which does exactly that, it csn also crop, see if its available as an Apple App. :D

it is what I just used to shrink your photo a bit. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

That is a very smart hen house and I'm sure your girls will be very happy in it. :D

Are they on gravel in the run? Do you need to provide dustbathing facilities or are they happy on the gravel?

MW
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I've wanted chickens and ducks for a few years now, my partner raises the very sensible point that I have enough work to do and responsibilities. Prior to my kitchen garden I didn't have any need for the help of neighbours if I choose to be away. As I don't have many neighbours and non that I can rely on 100% having chickens and ducks has to remain a wish.

I have a pal who's home is a smallholding, he has sheep, hens and ducks but they happily eat them when the time comes. We couldn't do that, nor would we cope easily with a regular clear-out by the fox. Our foxes are not feral, these magnificent animals are clever predators and there are no cases where neighbouring farmers, smallholders or cottagers have been able to avoid a clear-out by the fox.

My idea of having hens and ducks is to have them roaming around, presumably they would make a mess of my kitchen garden before the fox or a neighbours dog decided to cull them. The only option that remains is a prison for hens to keep them safe but they still need tending.

Ho-hum, i'm living the dream. I can't have everything.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Diane
KG Regular

Hi MW....the henhouse is situated on paving slabs, topped with a layer of Easibed - but there is a little door built into the end of the run and I let them out every day for several hours, when I'm around, and they've very usefully (not!) dug down to Australia in several inconvenient places. Under the gooseberry bush is one - which is actually quite useful as, for the first time , I haven't had an attack of gooseberry sawfly. The other non helpful place is right where I stand to hang the washing out and and they've also made a huge dip right in front of the pond. I just know I'm going to fall in one day which, no doubt, will amuse them greatly. I wouldn't be without them though. I fill in the holes and they just dig a bigger one right next to it. As it's been so dry here - the washing line hole serves as a desert stand storm effect when they are all in it....which is not so good when you are hanging out the laundry!
BTW they do have a proper dustbath in their run which they ignore :roll:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hi Diane.

Could you tell me what is inside the cabins, the small one hanging off the side is where they lay eggs, right ? How do they know ? Is it just compartments with straw ?

What about the main parlour ? Perches ? Is that all ? If I decided to build myself a chicken coop presumably there is a standard-accepted way of construction.

I can see that the the main cabin is well ventilated at the top, what about incoming ventilation and doesn't the little cabin need ventilation ? The lids lifts off, right ?
Richard.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:If I decided to build myself a chicken coop presumably there is a standard-accepted way of construction.

I used to make coups. There's no one way to build one. Consideration should be given to how portable it is, and how easy it is to clean. I made mine with a detachable run, which itself had mesh top, bottom and sides, for all-round predator proofing. The main accommodation was on stilts, to allow the grass to grow underneath, and a floor which slid out like a drawer for cleaning, as well as a hinged roof. If they're kept on grass, chickens should be moved to a fresh spot regularly anyway. I built handles to lift it with, in the manner of a sedan chair. They are easy to add.

Regarding resizing photos on a Mac: forget about iPhoto. Open the image file in Preview. From the menu select Tools > Adjust Size... The rest will be self-evident.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Diane
KG Regular

Hi Ricard with an H - thank you for making the pic smaller.

Yes, the side compartments are nest boxes - dark and cosy and filled with shavings or horse bedding - something soft. They don't need ventilation in the actual nest box ....hens like dark secret places to lay their eggs. The lid lifts up so I can collect the eggs. There's also a foxproof lock on it.

The actual henhouse roof also lifts off for ease of cleaning. As it's all made of wood, before we painted the outside I liberally painted the inside with Creocote (like creosote) to prevent red mite. Will repeat once a year.

There is a perch inside, placed higher than the nest box. Hens like to roost high up and hopefully will sleep on the perch rather than snuggle into the nest box I put a layer of newspaper on the floor, under the perch, to catch the droppings. There's also a layer of bedding on the floor. Just roll it all up every few days and replace with fresh.

There are many different styles of henhouses now - plastic and wood ...ease of cleaning and being predator proof is a big consideration.

They have layers pellets, a separate bowl of mixed grit and clean water daily. Plus a few greens from my veg plot. They also tootle around in the garden looking for worms and bugs and digging themselves a dustbath when I let them out (when I'm around to keep an eye out for urban foxes) but I protect my precious plants with a little fence and my pekins can only jump up about 18" high and don't fly at all. (well, only with the wind behind them). Hens need worming with Flubenvet once or twice a year and protecting from red mite by a liberal dusting of the appropriate red mite powder.

It's great fun looking after hens...their needs are quite simple really. Safety, shelter, food, clean water and a willing servant (you) :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

FelixLeiter wrote:Regarding resizing photos on a Mac: forget about iPhoto. Open the image file in Preview. From the menu select Tools > Adjust Size... The rest will be self-evident.

Thanks Felix.

And thanks Diane for the in-depth explanation on keeping the chicky-girls comfy.
Richard.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Hi Diane, pleased your girls get out for a bath! Mine go under a large round box plant as the sandy soil up there is nearly always dry and you're right they do make large holes! Apparently a group of acheologists were puzzling over an indent in the ground under what would have been the entrance to a round house, instilling it with religious significance (as they do when they can't understand something!) until somebody pointed out it was a chicken bath! :lol:

Mine are free range all the time and although they are provided with a lovely laying house (all mod cons and 5 compartments) they insist on laying in large pots laid on their sides and a couple of discarded hanging baskets...

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic