Bees in the compst bin

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Redfox
KG Regular

A couple of months ago whilst emptying one of my plastic compost bins I disturbed a small bees nest in there, :o so I promtly covered it with a large black pot with many holes in. Glad to report bees are doing well. the nest is situated on my bracica bed, and they are coming and going at a frequently :D. I recon there are about 20 bees in the nest but it is really hard to be sure as they are continually moving.
I have had these bins for about 7 yrs and this is the first time anything like this has happened.
Jane
peter
KG Regular

How nice.
Your beans should pollinate well this year. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wicky
KG Regular

Lovely! I've got bumblers living in my shed.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

The chap on the next door plot had this a couple of years ago, they chased him down the allotments when he first disturbed them by accident. They were red-bottomed bees like a small bumble bee. He left the heap alone for the summer and cautiously had a look in autumn and they'd gone.

MW
Redfox
KG Regular

It was a bit touch and go when I first disturbed them but I put the plant pot over them and left them alone for a few days.
I think it was a very new nest as it was quite small. I look through the holes on the pot and it looks like it has grown qite a bit.
The bees are white bottom ones. Not sure what veriety this is but have been told that they are hiney bees
Jane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic