Ducks choose such silly nesting sites !

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Sad story in our village yesterday. A duck was trying to lead her brood of ducklings back to her local pond when she got mown down by a car and her few of her surviving ducklings scattered. I fear they won't survive. The mothers never seem to realise that their babies can't simply fly out from the nest site via the route they arrived and have to navigate all kinds of hazardous perils on the return route. A couple of years ago I found myself in the role of 'lollipop lady' having to hold up all the traffic while I followed behind a duck and her brood down a lane until they had reached safety. I can't tell you how much abuse I received in the process from all the cars held up behind me, hooting their horns because they couldn't see up front what was causing the delay !
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Poor things, some rural driving leaves a lot to be desired. I should have a sign in the back of my car that says 'I slow down for pheasants, partridge, ducks, weasels, rabbits, weasels carrying rabbits, the occasional buzzard with a mouse and in one instance a Little Owl..... Or anything else which happens to cross my path'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic