Adder

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

She hasn't shown herself this year - I'm thinking the bad seasons have taken their toll as she was so little compared to her Mum! Although she scared the life out of me I'm kind of sad she didn't make it to reproduce the future generations! (Hoping she might just have found me too noisy hoeing away - waiting for the EEK of surprise from my neighbours!) :D

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm glad we don't get potentially dangerous creatures here, although it is sad that your adder hasn't shown itself this year. At least you know to look out for it if you know where it lives.

I had an e-mail from my son's girl friend in Thailand and she had a young cobra eating frogs in her garden this weekend. Apparently the young ones are more dangerous than the adults as they can't control how much venom they inject and just pump the whole lot out in one go.

At least we don't have to look out for anything like that.
Primrose
KG Regular

Always sad when wildlife dies, even if it's not the "Ah, fluffy" types. Perhaps she's moved to another part of the site and may yet make an appearance somewhere? We haven't had a great deal of sunny weather so maybe she's still tucked away somewhere waiting for a more continued spell of warmth.
I haven't spotted the slowworm that was in our garden last year either. Hoping it may still be lurking around somewhere but we have a lot of eagle eyed crows and magpies visiting the garden who would probably be quite capable of snapping it up if it were to pop out and start sunbathing..
Westi
KG Regular

Got slow worms in the compost at home (& the cutest little cross house mouse & field mouse can they do that? - Got grey chest & brown back & really tiny). I don't think adder will be showing this year - the boys should be down off the railway embankment by now if there was a female present anywhere - their breeding programme surely is time to mature!

Her big mum is in sanctuary up the road so gene pool survives!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic