egg sizes

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

no but we have one with tears in her eyes
Geoff
KG Regular

As long as you are sure.

Ostriches.jpg
Ostriches.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
robo
KG Regular

ours are the short necked variety
Chantal
KG Regular

I've just weighed our eggs and most come in at 66/67g (large) but one is consistently around 90g. The odd thing is that although it's a huge egg, the yolk is no bigger than the others, there's just a lot more white.

These eggs are also a nuisance as they don't easily fit into egg boxes, even those that were originally for "extra large eggs".

Our final chicken now appears to be laying, having been a freeloader for 8 months, but the eggs don't have a yolk at all! :roll:

Maybe I should take up a career in selling meringues. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
robo
KG Regular

our eggs are usually around 60 to 65 grms sometimes we get a bit bigger but the last month we have had the occasional whopper but nothing as big as the latest, our egg numbers have declined over the last 2 weeks and by chance on Monday when I bolted the coop door I did not push the bolt tight home as its awkward to open when your hands are full yesterday morning I went to unbolt it and it was pushed tight home I am thinking we might have an egg pincher on our allotment so I put a pad lock on, this morning I was early and walked in to 5 eggs we have been down to 3 and 4 a day I am going back in an hour to do some planting so will check again but it looks like I may be on to something we normally get 2 eggs in the afternoon but the laying is up and down lately I might be totally wrong
Chantal
KG Regular

We were getting 6 or 7 (from 8 chickens) eggs a day until the past few days when they have dropped back to 3 or 4. But, it's been cold, wet, dark earlier and I think it's affecting them badly.

Chicks in the garden and not a thief in sight.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic