Beautiful Barn Owl

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Motherwoman
KG Regular

I was walking my dogs (6 springer spaniels) in the field this morning at around 6.15am and over the hedge at around head height glided a beautiful barn owl. It was only about 20 feet ahead of me and zig zagged about for around a minute before disappearing over the next hedge. It didn't seem at all bothered that I was there and I was thinking 'Don't land!' with the dogs there but the dogs took absolutely no notice of it, they probably didn't hear it as the wings made no noise but they must have seen it. They are usually very keen on birds (!) but I wonder if there is some sort of inbuilt instrict that they leave birds of prey alone.

Motherwoman
Monika
KG Regular

Sounds lovely, MW. I love barn owls but have not seen one for many years. The last one I saw was not far from where Clive (on this Forum) lives.

Following on from Clive's photo on another thread but relating to wildlife: this time last year we had seen the first small tortoiseshell and comma butterflies and this year we are snowed in!
Westi
KG Regular

6 Springer's MW?? R U mad?? I've got one at the moment with a wire haired Vizsla but before always had 2 springer's! Wouldn't have even noticed an owl as would have been too busy watching them to prevent mischief!! (mind the one I've got now is a bit predictable so might have been able to look up!)

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Well, I started with one and went up to 8 at one stage, but now have 6. I found that once you got past 2 it didn't make a lot of difference! Except for the dust levels indoors... Once they get to about 12 years old they start to calm down a bit. I think I probably am mad but don't care any more!
Westi
KG Regular

Yep - they do eventually calm down & actually do as you ask & soo much more intelligent than Vizsla's! My kitchen is always covered in muddy paw prints & where does that hair come from :?: Today washed mats, towels & throws - didn't mop floor though - it will all be back tomorrow! Looking at weather reports may get away with no mopping for a few more days! Fingers crossed :)

Westi
Westi
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Yes one Jack Russell is enough for me! My brother has (at the last count) 4 Newfoundlands, 1 Clumber Spaniel, 1 St Bernard and 2 Jack Russells. Guess which ones cause the most trouble? The little ones...

Anyway back to barn owls, when we had the farm in Lincolnshire we had resident barn owls, it was a regular sight when letting the hens out at dawn to see them quartering the field. One time the dog (who was then an impetuous puppy) chased after one, it turned and checked her out, I think as a possible meal! After that she stuck to me when the owls were around!

Now in Dorset I regularly see one as I drive home every night, but at home it is all Tawnies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic