Critters Know!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

You guys posted about your hens laying & doves mating so very optimistically on another forum (not gardening) I posted spring was coming only to get loads of people posting about toads & frogs in their ponds & even in the roads!

Someone calm me down :D So sick of not being able to get to Lottie - more psychological than physical as well! Lottie is my escape from work etc!

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, absence makes the heart grow fonder, :) you will soon be back on the allotment.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

OH - Hope you're right.. it's an addiction isn't it??

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, i must admit if it wasn't for this gardening forum, i would be climbing the walls with frusration at the lack of gardening at this time of the year. :)

Westi
KG Regular

OH Yes - totally agree! Even worse as last year was so 'different'!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I'll be very surprised if anybody has got frogs coming out of hibernation yet or even frogspawn. . It's far too cold and grey here. But finding the first frog in our mini pond is always an uplifting event. Unfortunately the local heron is looking unusually hungry this year, so that has reminded me to partially cover my pond now to prevent them becoming an early breakfast for him.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, around here Herons are becoming a real problem...

Monika
KG Regular

Lovely sunny day here yesterday and I just couldn't stop myself from doing some sowing: sweet peas in two trays of root trainers, shallots 'Ambition' in a divided tray and celeriac 'Albin' in a pot, all indoors at the moment, of course, but the sweet peas and shallots will go into the (barely) heated greenhouse the moment they come up.

By the way, our frogs are certainly stirring in the pond - every so often there is a ripple at the pond edge. Last year the first frogs were actually visible in mid-February.

Should you start a "Very early spring" thread, OH?
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Should you start a "Very early spring" thread, OH?

Monika

That's guaranteed to bring the snow to Skipton today :wink: :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Colin Miles
KG Regular

First masses of frog spawn today but only in one pond. Wondering whether the mini-cleanup in the other - it was rather choked - has put them off. They usually liked that one better. And managed to start cleaning out the greenhouse and now wondering whether the Jeyes fluid will put the mole off or not.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, i am very tempted to start one, so you bettter go and buy a snow shovel, just incase i do. :)

alan refail
KG Regular

snow.PNG
snow.PNG (64.94 KiB) Viewed 5254 times

You've done it now OH :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

I know, I know - now I know whom to blame when we wake up to the white stuff tomorrow morning!
But the snowdrops and aconites are flowering beautifully, so are iris danfordiae and iris reticulata in the greenhouse and the hazel lambs' tails are expanding (and a few real lambs are gambolling!).
So I stick to my suggestion. :)
Westi
KG Regular

Have we another unusual year coming? Frog spawn out this early means very few can make it as the weather is changing again - if we can believe the weather forecasts! I still say trust the critters but it is scarey to see them push the limits :shock:

Westi
Westi
Colin Miles
KG Regular

The frogs are actually quite consistent. Last year we had a really cold spell from the second half of Jan to nearly mid-Feb and they started spawning as soon as that finished. But what will they make of a second cold spell? Interesting to see. However, although the ponds did freeze over a few times last year enough spawn survived and I had to net it to prevent a passing heron from decimating the tadpoles.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic