Wax Wings

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Loads (20+) have decided to visit the school field behind our house! Our only visitors are gulls, magpies, crows, sparrows & starlings - they are so beautiful! Did have a juvenille woodpecker once & he was entertaining!

I'm thinking I'm very lucky - couldn't get a decent pic though - sorry!

Westi
Westi
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

You are very lucky :D a friend of mine spotted a flock of them last week and he hasn't shut up about it all week :evil: :evil: I am not jealous :cry: :cry: :)

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

i am jealous! We have lots of bramblings at the moment as well as many other birds but are still waiting for waxwings in spite of having lots of red rose hips for them.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I wish I had seen them. I've only ever seen them in the garden once several years ago, but I keep hoping.

There have been lots of goldfinches, house sparrows, and a flock of 10 long tailed tits plus a tree creeper, nuthatch, bullfinch and numerous others. The most entertaining new visitor is a very large mistle thrush which we've not had in the garden for years. There is a flock of 5 agressive male blackbirds which usually chase the song thrush away, and they have just discovered that the mistle thrush isn't afraid of them. It keeps sitting above them in the pear tree and jumping down on them. They are really confused.

Yesterday I pressed small pieces of cheddar cheese into some of the cracks in the pear tree bark and the long tailed tits absolutely love it. Unfortunately my attempts to photograph them were the usual failure. I only managed to get one in focus before the battery ran out.

The sparrowhawk hasn't been around yet this morning, but it ate one of the greater spotted woodpeckers last week.I was very sad to see the woodpecker killed, but quite admired the sparrowhawk's agility.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I'd be happy to see anything in the garden right now. Only had sight of 2 robins and a wren over the last couple of days. Very worrying :(

Would have love to see those wax wings - what a sight to behold :)

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic