Wussy hens !

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

All my hens are refusing to come out of their run - to free-range in the lovely freezing cold white stuff. They are insisting on breakfast (and lunch and tea) to be delivered by their servant..straight to the foot of their ramp :shock:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
pongeroon
KG Regular

Ha! Mine did that when we had a lot of snow a few years ago. There was a very narrow pathway through the snow to the drinker (and back again!)
alan refail
KG Regular

My hens and ducks have been out and about the field in the snow all day today. I kept them inside yesterday while it was snowing and blowing. Must be tougher than your soft southern English birds :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
John
KG Regular

I have three welsummers in a flock of 10. They are real primadonnas and won't go anywhere near snow, in case it messes their fine plumage I supppose. The others hens, hybrids, don't mind at all but they are beginning to look a bit scruffy.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, you are quite correct, and they also have rougher hands.... :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi OH

Remember Grock & Lizzie :shock: :shock: :evil:

Regards

Arnie :lol: :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

Our (literally) free range hen which roams all the gardens in the neighbourhood and roosts in a tree has been striding through the snow without any discomfort, it appears. In this weather, her only food are the pickings below the hanging bird feeders.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I do indeed, and i still haven't managed to get rid of them. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My hens have tried, not very successfully to fly from their bob hole to a covered bit of the orchard about 20 ft away without putting their feet down on the snow. One nearly made it which was quite impressive.
Diane
KG Regular

Wow...loved to have seen that heroic effort :D

Mine are still lurking in their run in spite of my having cleared a big area all around...just to prove that grass still exists.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic