Wow!!

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Heard the thump of a bird in glass, when investigating & making sure all OK - there it was - I'm pretty sure a Sparrow Hawk, capturng same bird that went back into the weeping pear to escape & recuperate. Went right into the twisted branches until it flushed it out then went for it at the speed of light when it tried to make it's escape. Didn't see the end but I'm expecting a win to the hawk. Would post the pic but it's just a blur!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, we've had a similar experience with a sparrowhawk and a collared dove. It's unbelievable how quick they are, and once they've got a target in sight they don't give up, especially if they know they've wounded it and the second attempt will be easier.
Monika
KG Regular

We get regular visits of a sparrowhawk at the bird feeder and, as you say, they move in like lightning, then sit in the tree whilst all the small birds cower somewhere safe. Some time ago on a windy day, we saw lot of feathers floating past our house and realised that a sparrowhawk was plucking a wood pigeon on the nature reserve which we overlook. That's nature, I suppose, though it's not very pleasant to watch.
glallotments
KG Regular

They are also very manoeuvrable - they swoop under tree branches and twist and turn with ease!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic