Kitten in training?

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chantal
KG Regular

Our kitten Filbert appears to be in training and being mentored by Diego (big cat who's four). Diego and Filbert play fight, sleep together and have done for the past month. Filbert is just starting to put paw outside, but is still very much a house kitten - something we'd like to last a while yet if possible. However, a couple of weeks ago I found him playing with a mouse's head and for the next seven days there was a dead mouse for him to play with each morning. Diego was sitting beside him watching every move, but doing nothing. I accused Diego of being Filbert's dealer and getting him hooked on mouse) This morning we found Diego sitting on the stairs watching Filbert chasing a live mouse round the hall. It's for all the world like Diego (who is an ace hunter) has Filbert in training ready for his big garden adventures which will be starting in the new year. Is this possible or am I delusional? :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Diane
KG Regular

I think it's very possible....Diego sounds like a very astute pussy cat. I'll bet he gets Filbert trained up in all sorts of naughty things and then Diego will just sit back and say ..... "wasn't me!" :shock:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Chantal
KG Regular

I'd like to think I'm right, but it does seem strange to me. The other three cats play with Filbert, but that's all they do, play. Diego sits there like some Svengali and you're right, Filbert is getting up to all sorts of tricks (shower curtain down again this morning), but not tricks I've ever known Diego be involved in.

I just love cats... :D
Chantal

Chantal
KG Regular

The very patient Diego with his student Filbert and the happy pair asleep after a training session. I can't get over how beautiful Filbert's undercarriage is, he's like a snow leopard. :D
Attachments
Filbert & Diego 1.JPG
Filbert & Diego 1.JPG (73.44 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Filbert & Diego 2.JPG
Filbert & Diego 2.JPG (118.43 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Chantal

Diane
KG Regular

Ah..that's hecause Diego would have known he'd get the blame. Now he has a fall guy in training. Always check your wellies before putting them on from now on :roll:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm sure you are right. We had a semi wild cat from a farm that would catch a mouse and make strange calls to her kittens (with the mouse in her mouth), and then when they had all come to look she would put it down on the lawn and paw it about a bit. Then she sat back for them to copy her, making sure the mouse didn't escape.

She progressed to tree climbing demonstrations and stalking lessons.

She did this with every litter she had and it was very entertaining to watch.
Chantal
KG Regular

I'd have no hesitation in believing this if Deigo was Filbert's mother, but he's not even his father! Filbert was feral when we had him at 10 weeks but pretty naive, but dear Lord does that kitten learn quickly! :lol:
Chantal

Primrose
KG Regular

Filbert looks adorable and I can't believe he was feral. He seems to have very big ears as if he was Abyssian or some other pedigree breed. Perhaps there were some naughty goings on a few generations back?
Westi
KG Regular

Chantal - what a beautiful kitten, such wonderful markings! I so want a tabby next!

I'm a cat person married to dog man, but my cats rule the roost & both dogs treat them with respect! The greatest thing about cats is they can amuse themselves when young and give so much enjoyment & laughter without you throwing one soggy toy or ball! I won't start on intelligence or will open a full debate - but my cats can open doors not just bark outside them! :D

Westi
Westi
Chantal
KG Regular

The training is getting more intensive; three dead mice in our bedroom within 24 hours. :shock: It's getting so that I have to put the light on before I get out of bed to be sure I don't tread on a mouse corpse. :roll:

Diego is an amazing squirrel catcher, so I'm worried that the next thing will be a dead squirrel, or worse, a live one!

It's like living in an abattoir...
Chantal

peter
KG Regular

Former colleague cycled three miles before deciding trainer was a little uncomfortable and taking it off for a look. :twisted:

Pedalled home one legged leaving shoe & decomposing mouse in ditch. :D :roll: :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Laughed out loud ! I'd have sued the kitten for a new pair of trainers ! :lol:
Chantal
KG Regular

Cat vomit in your slippers is much worse, trust me on this :shock:
Chantal

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Old Herbaceous puts down slice of cake, and will eat it later... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Chantal
KG Regular

Sorry OH :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chantal

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic