Any Late Swallows

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Arnie
KG Regular

Hi

Just had an e-mail from BTO asking if anyone has any late swallow broods

I spotted a couple about 3 weeks ago :) I hate it when they leave :(

Swallows leave it late

Given fair weather, late broods could still make it to Africa
It's not been easy for Swallows this year. Many returned to the UK later than normal this spring, having been held up by poor weather further south. However, it appears that some may be setting off late this autumn too. This year we have received reports of at least seven nests still containing young in October, with one brood fledging as late as 11 October. This is quite unusual - of the 45,000 Swallow nest records collected by the BTO Nest Record Scheme since 1939, only 16 Swallow nests have ever been recorded with chicks in October. Have you had late Swallow broods? If so, let us know by emailing [email protected].

Hope you can help :D

Kind Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Geoff
KG Regular

I got that email too. We had what I thought was a late brood fledging towards the end of September but nowhere near as late as they are looking for. It was the only brood we had this year, an early pair started to nest then disappeared.
Saw migrating Swallows last week and Bramblings on Thursday - strange year!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic