Flying Ants - what a sight

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

16.54 yesterday and a patch of the lawn near the veg patch gate as well as the fence and gate itself, was a home to a heaving mass of winged ants ready to swarm.

It was a trully amazing sight and all down the street, children playing could be heard shouting to their mums to come look and those mums could be heard urging their children to get indoors.

Half an hour later and the swarm had left our garden, leaving only a few stragglers and the wingless workers behind.

I've recorded our swarm on the Society oF Biologys' Flying Ant survey

VPM
x
2ofus
KG Regular

Vegpatchmum said, 'I've recorded our swarm on the Society oF Biologys' Flying Ant survey'. Well done VPM. :)
Seagulls gather for their aerial feast, here a young Song Thrush ran around with the other birds including Dunnock and Robin to grab a share. Ants are high on the food list of the lovely Green Woodpecker.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Ok! Now I'm confused :?

I always thought that the Flying Ants in a given area all swarm at the same time (give or take a few minutes). So I was a bit surprised when at 17.50 this evening my 5 year old announced the presence of another swarm in almost the same spot as last Thursdays'!

I was a little dubious but she was right and so we've now had 2 swarms in under a week :shock:

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic