Sex Change Chicken

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

Todays Daily Mail carries the story of a 14 Month Wyandotte that spontaneously changed sex from Hen to Cock.
I had never heard of this, but Adrian Kemp, Secretary of the National Federation of Poultry Clubs is quoted as saying this happens very rarely "I've only seen it once in 55 years". An unanmed source quotes the odds as 1 in 10,000 hens.

So given those odds, has anyone had a bird this happened to?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

Sort of. I had a pair of Red Jungle Fowl for 10 years before Alex (male) died of old age. Sweetie was on her own for about 6 months as I decided she was too old to import new chickens; she also died of old age.

During the last 2 months of her life, there was no doubt about the fact that she was trying to crow. She'd get up on the high perch, throw her head back, chest out and go for it. I had heard about this sex change thing before and I did wonder at the time, but then she died and I forgot about it.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Diane
KG Regular

Yes - I had a leghorn hen who was top of the pecking order and she crowed her head (or should that be comb and wattles) off. She also laid an enormous number of eggs. I didn't have a cockerel so perhaps that had something to do with it.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Chantal
KG Regular

Mine was clearly confused as she crowed about laying eggs!
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
John
KG Regular

I have a couple of hens that sometimes think that they are cocks and behave in a most inappropriate way towards their sisters. I posted on a poultry site about this and was told that it wasn't uncommon.

John
Carole B.
KG Regular

I think if the hens have no cock bird then the hen at the top of the pecking order sort of takes over.
peter
KG Regular

The bird written about, ceased laying, grew larger wattles, started mounting (treading?) the hens, etc, etc.

Apparently a damaged ovary starts to produce male hormone and converts the other ovary into a testicle.

So what started the thread was genuine sex-change, not compensatory behaviour.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic